Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Processor Quality

• Please log in to reply

apritske

apritske

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I'm equiping my machine with a AMD 64 X2 4400+ Dual-Core CPU. I decided on Athlon based on a lot of input and also on the cost of this particular chip, however, thus far I've only had experience with Intel.

It's my understanding that for what Athlons lack in speed they make up in performance.

Can anyone give me an idea of how my 4400, which is a 2.2 Ghz processor, will perform? Is it comporable to the 3+ Ghz Pentium Ds? Is it comporable to the new Cores? What can I expect if I play games that are both graphics and processor speed intensive? (I have 2 NVIDIA 7900 GTs covering my graphics needs.)

Thanks

Advertisements

MNOB07

MNOB07

• PipPipPip
  • 157 posts
It's really impossible to directly compare different architectures exactly. Diffferent archictectures may excell against others in one thing, but lag behind in others.

With that said, here's some rough estimates:

Athlon X2 4400+ ~ Pentium D @ 3.6 Ghz ~ Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.86 Ghz

You can expect to have a great gaming experience. Most games today aren't as procesor intensive as they are graphically, and since you have SLI'd 7900GT's you got the graphics part down.

I hope that helps.