Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop says cable disconnected

• Please log in to reply

Rebeccaatthewell

Rebeccaatthewell

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This morning when I logged onto my computer to get on the internet the message says server can't be found. So I called the bellsouth help line and we ran some tests and when trying to ping the ip I get the message cable disconnected. I have changed cable ends as well as replugged it several times. So I thought the cable was bad, however, I used it to plug into my laptop and I can browse the web fine on it. Do I need a new ethernet card or is it a driver that is not being read/found???

I am working on Windows 2000 and we also had a very bad storm the night before so I was wondering if that could have something to do with it.

Thank you very much for any assistance or advice!
Rebecca

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > properties > hardware tab > device manager button > do you see any yellow ? or ! or any red X?

can you find the network card in device manager?

Rebeccaatthewell

Rebeccaatthewell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The Network card is 3Com Gigabit NIC and is listed under Network adapters
however, there are no yellow question marks or X's or !'s.

When I open it, the general tab says that the device is working properly. When I troubleshoot it also says that the device is working properly.

Thanks
Becki

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Re-install the ethernet card drivers if you have them

Rebeccaatthewell

Rebeccaatthewell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for all the help - it looks like the card is bad so I will have to get it replaced.

Thanks
Rebecca

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting us know