Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xbox 360---ip problems

• Please log in to reply

W1kpro

W1kpro

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

The problem im having is when i use my PC on the internet i cant use xbox live at the same time it says my ip cant be found for some dhcp reasons.

What i have going on.....

I have a motorola SB5100 cable modem.

1) A coaxle cable runs from the wall to this modem.
2) A USB cable from the modem to my pc.
3) A crossover cable from the modems ethernet port to my xbox.
4) I have then got internet connection sharing on.

To use my xbox live i need to unplug the usb so its not connected to my pc then turn my modem on and off boot my xbox, then i get xbox live. Also do the opposite to use my pc internet again?

I have networked a pc this way in the past and shared my internet connection with no problems?

anyone help?

Cheers Nige

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Motorrolla says that what you have done in the past is not possible due to the modems ability to only give IP addresses from one type of connection at a time <either USB or ethernet>. You need to purchase a Router/Hub/Switch and then follow this guide.

W1kpro

W1kpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Cheers mate, rofl that mean I can prove motarola wrong then, cause i networked my pc throught it. lol

ill get a router

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Not that I doubt what you say is true, but I am curious to see it in action. I also have a motorolla modem (5120) and have tried it and it doesnt work with an active USB and Ethernet connection at the same time. It can swap back and forth but not simultaneously. But that could have been a bug fixed later on as your model is an earlier one.

Do a test for me if your would please.... Connect both PC's back to the modem like you described <one on USB and One on Ethernet>... then do the follwing:

Go to the PC hooked up on ethernet and:
Go to START
Go to RUN
Type in: cmd and hit OK
When the command Prompt screen appears type in: ipconfig /all and hit Enter
Post your results in a reply <Reply 1> and copy down your <default gateway>
Next type in: ping <default Gateway from last step> -l 32 -t
As it starts to ping leave it running and go to the other pc

From the PC hooked up on USB, do the following:
Go to START
Go to RUN
Type in: cmd and hit OK
When the command Prompt screen appears type in: ipconfig /all and hit Enter
Post your results in a reply <Reply 2> and copy down your <default gateway>
Next type in: ping <default Gateway from last step> -l 32 -t
As it starts to ping, go abck to the first PC

From the PC Hooked up on Ethernet:
Hold down the Ctrl + C keys then copy your results into a reply. <Reply 3>

From the PC Hooked up on USB:
Hold down the Ctrl + C keys then copy your results into a reply. <Reply 4>

Magosis

Magosis

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 190 posts
Fom my expeirience working at an ISP, it is theoreticaly possibly but the Moterola Surf board series will not allow two acyive devices even though they may assign 2 IP's if your ISP is assigning mroe than one to you

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
The test in my previous post Magosis is to see if the modem can assign two seperate IP's and Allow Traffic from both IP's at the same time (AS W1kpro IS STATING).

W1kpro

W1kpro

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Trust me it is possible I did it lol, I borrowed my sisters Pc when I did it for some networking experience for my MCP exams. I havent got my sisters PC anymore. I will try to borrow another PC of someone because I want to tell you my Ip-configeration settings. If you say its impossible then Im quiet proud of myself lol. I did the impossible. lol (tapping myself on the back.)

Edited by W1kpro, 09 October 2006 - 05:14 AM.