Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replacing current master drive

• Please log in to reply

timrip

timrip

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
My master drive is failing, so I want to replace it with a new one. I already have a slave drive that works perfectly fine, so I'd like to keep that as my slave. My plan is to junk my current master, keep my current slave, and install a new master.

I haven't been able to find any help on this process. The closest I have come is finding instructions telling me how to turn my current master into a slave.

One of my main concerns with this process is how to transfer my operating system (Windowx XP home) to my new master. (I never received a Windows boot disc with my computer).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. I presume by "master" hard drive, you mean drive c: with the operating system on it. First, you should move any data you wish to keep to the slave (data?) drive. Also, you need your windows install cd before you begin. Access the bios and make sure you have boot to cd set as first boot option. Put the windows install cd in the drive, shut down and remove the bad hard drive. Then, install the new one. Here is a step by step guide: http://www.pcmech.co...w/harddrive/43/

AaronJay

AaronJay

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the link but i still could use some additional help after reading the link. Hope someone can help.

I just replaced my 20G hard drive(C:) with a new 80G Hitachi. I also have another 20G on drive D:

Now that i have a diferent brand of hard drive than my slave or D: drive i am not sure how to properly set my jumpers on the D: drive. I am assuming the C: is done correct since i was able to reformat and install XP again. The problem is i can't see my D: any longer. I thought if i left the D: or slave jumpers in the same place it would be fine. Is there a trick to it when you have two different manufaturers for your drives? I noticed the area for the jumpers is slightly different with the old drive having 1 more prong (10 total). My new 80G drive has jumper configurations listed on the casing but my old doesnt but i know it was set up ok before with the old 20G. Also if i reinstalled the operating system and had the jumpers wrong on the slave drive does that affect anything, like causing me to have to reformat the new 80G C: drive? Or is it just a matter of opening the computer back up and redoing the jumpers until the computer reads the right configuration?

Thanks for the help?

Aaron

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
There is usually a label on the hard drive that shows how to set the jumpers. Every hard drive I have ever worked with always had such a label. If yours does not, go to the manufacturer's web page and look for the information there.