Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not valid Boot device

• Please log in to reply

Razor

Razor

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have recently installed a new mobo. I restarted my machine after making sure I had no hardware conflicts. I attempted to boot from my HD and got that it wasn't a valid boot device. I fear a MBR error or corrupted. I change boot order and booted from my winxp disk and found that it couldn't see Windows any more. I stopped that setup because it got into an area... I wasn't comfortable to get into. Any suggestion? I am thinking of putting in another drive and exporting all files that I need first. The next step I was think of was reformating and reinstalling all my stuff. I will check back to the site to see if there is anything else to try after I have backed up my stuff.

:tazz:

Advertisements

Cryptie

Cryptie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What kind of hard drive are we talking about here? Is it Sata or regular old IDE? If it is SATA you need to use F6 while starting from the xp setup to load RAID drivers for windows to see the drive. If it is regular old IDE then there is something fishy going on there as windows setup should be able to see the previous install.

Razor

Razor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It is a 200 GB IDE HD by Western Digital. It is a solo HD. That is why a perplex.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
So, you just dropped an existing windows xp installation from one computer into a new computer? (this is essentially what you do when you switch motherboards of different types).

Oy vey.

While that sometimes worked, in windows 98/me, it will only work in windows xp in the rarest of circumstances--ie, when you have identical motherboards (and even then, you are most likely going to have to reactivate. Without getting into specifics, you are dealing with two completely different hardware abstraction layers...big problem. Your previous installation is looking for the other motherboard/hardware.

What is your goal here? Data preservation or avoiding program re-installing?

Do you have other computers present?

Do you still have the old motherboard?

Razor

Razor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I understand that. I am trying to maintain my data from the 200GB. I am trying to get the data onto another hard drive. Once backed up, I am willing to try anything to get the drive and my machine back up and running.

I still have the old mobo.
I have another computer that works.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Gonna have to write up a guide to cover this scenario....

Anyway, I am not sure where you stopped your original install, but I think that is the way to go at this point.

Your hardware is different, so its unavoidable.

First try a repair installation using this thread as your guide,

http://www.geekstogo...ws_XP-t138.html

If that does NOT work, your best bet is to follow the above guide, but at the third blue screen snapshot, choose INSTALL A FRESH COPY, but choose a different directory from the pre-existing install...for example, c:\winxp

You will need to reinstall programs, but this can be done while leaving your data relatively intact....

if