Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shuts down when running certain programs

• Please log in to reply

Cadre

Cadre

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have been having freezing problems with my computer lately, and I've narrowed down the problem to possible my videocard. Two days ago my computer was running fine, Then i ran AVG anti-virus and i uninstalled a game... I think something is wrong with my DirectX9c... When I load into a program called xfire (gaming messenger) it tells ERROR, having a problem with D3D7 and that my DirectX may be corrupt and damaged. I ran dxdiag, but it said it had no problems. I'm currently able to load onto my computer in VGA mode and run some programs that I couldn't in Normal mode, xfire still crashed however... I installed all possible and newest video drivers for my videocard. I have a GeForce FX 6200 and downloaded the latest 91.31 driver for the card... When I ran under that, the same problem occured, but it gave me an error this time in Blue Screen.

I google the error and it seems like a common problem, it says "The problem seems to be caused by the following: nv4_disp .... The devide got stuck in a loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or within the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly.... Check your hardware device vendor for any driver updates (which I did)"

It also stated

*** STOP 0x000000EA (0x869E4C88, 0xF7CA6CB4, 0x00000001)

Begining dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete
contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance

I do have to say, yesterday I was moving my monitor around, and it slightly moved the card out of the slot; the screen went black and had to force shutdown... Could my videocard be damaged? or could the slight move scramble information to cause an error?

If you know, please inform me. I appreciate your help.

If you have any questions, please let me know. I'll give you the information you need that will help you.

Advertisements