Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Too Slow to Open

• Please log in to reply

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi. I may have an incredibly basic question. When I start my computer (a Dell laptop Inspiron 1200 with Windows XP), it takes a good 5 minutes before I can do anything because of all the programs that have to run with it. The programs are:

Windows Messenger
Kodak Easyshare
AOL (tells me whether I'm connected or not)
Yahoo Messenger
AVG Free Edition
AOL (again)
Dell Support
Synaptics Pointing Device
Local Area Connection (I am not on a network)
Volume
On AC Power

Kodak certainly takes the longest to open, but I don't want anything on here except what is absolutly necessary.

I went to a web site that told me to right click on the start menu, click on Properties, go to Start Menu, click on Classic Start Menu, select Customize, open Programs folder, open Startup folder and deselect anything I don't want...

I did all that, but there was nothing under the start menu for me to deselect. According to it, nothing was in there!

Anyway, I'm just trying to get rid of some of these programs unless I open them on purpose. Can you help me?

Thanks.

David

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The biggest slowdown you have is the AOL. That is the first thing i would completely take off any computer i have. Alas, it is also the hardest thing to get rid of totally. It infiltrates the computer so badly you may never find everything it installed on your computer. Second, unless you like using messemger's disable both of them in the services. I never install camera software since i use a cheap card reader to transfer pictures to my computers thru explore.

The synaptics is for your touch pad so leave it alone.
Local area connection would not slow down the computer.
Volume would not slow down the computer.
On AC Power would not slow down the computer.
Dell Support will not slow the computer down.
AVG will slightly slow the computer but do you want to be without anti-virus protection?

SRX660

reynolds0889

reynolds0889

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I should have mentioned...

Things I don't need/want:
Windows Messenger
Kodak Easyshare
AOL (tells me whether I'm connected or not)
Yahoo Messenger
AOL (again)

I do use AOL, but would LOVE it if they didn't slow down my computer by having things in my startup. I never use Windows Messenger and rarely Yahoo.

Does that help?

David