Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Security and some sites

• Please log in to reply

shagnicely

shagnicely

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi guys, as I am not a real geek, am not sure if I am trying to teach my grandma to suck eggs. Let's see:

A hobby is Freeware. Over the last two years, I have tested over 500 programmes. I actually use about 20 of them.

Two of the better cleaning tools I have found are:

Privacy Mantra

Toni Arts EasyClean.

Crap Cleaner is good too.

Anti spyware: Spybot is pretty good. Adaware has slipped a lot over the last year,I no longer use it.
I also use MS and Ewido

There are two major problems with Freeware: Almost ALL of it has some nasties; occassionally, it can be very nasty indeed. Some Freeware will not work if you remove its embedded spyware /adware/nags. Even Mozilla has tracking cookies.

There are few trustworthy freeware sites: Cnet or Download .com is NOT a trustworthy site. Neither is Freeware World Team, although I use them both; just take care.

There is one and only one site I kind-of trust; Pricelessware, because it links to a really good site, run by a mate, JOHN HOOD. Small, but some good stuff.

For Media stuff of all kinds, try Videohelp.com. A mixture of freeware and trailware; watch your step with those guys. BUT some very good free stuff.

Anti-Virus: I have tried most Freeware anti virus. I liked Avast the best. However, I am convinced that no free anti-virus is as good as a good commercial application. By "GOOD" I do not mean "Norton". I use Nod32, which I find first rate, I also like PCCILLIN, which happens to be used by Australia's DOD.

I repeat, I am not a geek. Nor a computer nerd, nor a technician. I AM a daily user. My PC is a hobby and a toy. I can get it to do what I want most of the time, and am usually able to fix it if it stops working as I think it should.

I have three criteria for software: (1) must do what it claims (2) be easy to install and use (3) be stable

Notwithstanding what I wrote above, paying a lot of money for software is no guarantee whatsover.

Obviously, this post is aimed at others of a similar limited knowledge base, not the expert, who I hope will be forgiving of me stating the bleedin' obvious;I am still very much feeling my way on this site.

My system: Running XP Pro, with Celeron 2.60GHz processor, 750MG of RAM and two physical hard drives, of 40 and 80Gb respectively. Modest, but suits my needs.

Edited by shagnicely, 28 July 2006 - 09:02 PM.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi shagnicely,

It's good that you are willing to share your views on shareware programs. However, here at Geeks to Go it's our policy not to discuss or promote the use of Peer to Peer programs. Would you kindly edit your post and remove the Peer to Peer program recommendations or otherwise your post will attract some moderation attention. I'm sure that you understand. :whistling:

shagnicely

shagnicely

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ooops--I have deleted the only reference I can see to P2P programmes.

If there remains anything else you don't like, please delete the post.

I WAS going to say something impolite, but won't.

I am a Moderator on an another site, and have remembered my own advice just in time. Sites such as this are NOT democracies; your site, your rules.

As I mentioned in my post I was feeling my way. I now have a much better understanding.

Thank you for having the courtesy to tell me, rather than simply censoring my post.

I just wanna make sure I have it staight:

You do not allow discussions about religion or politics. Nor expletives. Nothing about peer-to-peer. Is there anything I missed?

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Thank you for your co-operation. :whistling: Your post looks fine now and I believe that you haven't missed anything.

Enjoy your time here. I'm sure that members and visitors will get some benefit from your software recommendations.