Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP: Randomly rebooting, BSoD errors

• Please log in to reply

CatsInSpace

CatsInSpace

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello, good GTG folks!

Recently, we've begun having problems with XP SP2 (Dell Dimension, 4550) randomly rebooting. It's not dependent on a specific program or activity -- it'll reboot regardless of us working in, say Notepad or surfing the Internet.

After we unchecked the Automatically restart box to see the behind-the-scenes errors, we then started to see the following dialog upon startup:

Norton AntiVirus 2006 does not support the Repair feature, please uninstall and reinstall.

However, after clicking "OK" (the only option in the dialog box), Norton seemed to be running just dandy. Still, to be safe, we uninstalled/reinstalled it, only to encounter the same error.

Then, just minutes after reinstalling Norton, we got the following two BS's OD :whistling: in quick succession:

BAD_POOL_HEADER

0x00000019

- and then -

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

0x0000000A

Haven't installed any new hardware lately, haven't fiddled with drivers or settings ... perhaps a Windows Update made things go blooey?

I've Googled 'round for these errors but there are so many varied responses out there that I've no idea where to start. Any help'd be most appreciated, and thanks muchly in advance. :blink:

Edited by CatsInSpace, 31 July 2006 - 12:34 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
There is lots of info on stop errors, maybe too much. Heres Auhma's take on stop errors.

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

Built into Win XP is a drivers verifier program. Heres microsofts article on how to use it.

http://support.micro...=244617&sd=RMVP

I would disable nortons and see if you still get errors. These errors can also be caused by a memory stick going bad or a hard drive starting to fail. There are some computers that get these errors because of windows updates they have installed. Usual cause is bad drivers.

SRX660

CatsInSpace

CatsInSpace

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thankee for the quick reply! I'm looking at that link for the drivers verifier program right now to see if that helps -- I'm kinda' pooped from all the searching and poking around :whistling: , so I may not finish with all that until tomorrow.

"These errors can also be caused by ... hard drive starting to fail"

Eeep! Well, if that wasn't a kick in the pants to be more diligent about our backups, I don't know what is! Will be backin' up stuff posthaste, just to be safe ...

Edited to Add: Hrrrmmm ... I just opened MS Word, and that also triggered the Norton error I mentioned in my first post. Gaah!

Edited by CatsInSpace, 28 July 2006 - 08:07 PM.