Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Desk Cause Overheating?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

I made a trip to a local furniture store in my hometown and found some really neat office furniture. I picked up paperwork and pricing on the pieces so I could talk it over with the wife. On the way home, I realized that the desk had an enclosure for the tower. Inside, there was only a small hole for cables to get to the outside. Of course, there is a door on the front to seal the whole thing up. I have a DIY machine with six fans. The average running temperature for this machine is around 32 degrees. Do you think putting the tower into an enclosure, like the desk I'm interested in, will cause the system to overheat?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
It may not overheat necessarily but the fact that you will be keeping it enlosed with hot air running all around it can't be good. If you have any carpentry skills (I mean can you use a power saw and a screwdriver) then you could open up the back of the enclosure so that the back exhaust would, well, exhaust.

I would not put mine in an enclosure because there are fans on all sides and the hot air would just circulate around the whole thing, causing it to heat more than I'd like.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
BlackPandemic:

Thanks for the information. Sounds like you and I are thinking alike. When I thought back to the desk and it's enclosed space, I thought, that can't be right. But then I thought, I guess it has to be right if they make it. I assume people put computers in desks like these all the time. Still, I'm not taking any chances with my baby.

No Sale Today!

Thanks again,

Brian

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just buy a basic desk then and add a CPU mount or just put the CPU on the ground, that's what I have going on.

(Old picture of my initial setup, I have new speakers now - http://i4.photobucke...Computer001.jpg

Just get a simple one like this (not necessarily this one, but you get it) http://www.tigerdire...p;sku=S104-1100

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
BlackPandemic:

Thanks for the reply. I think I have a desk in mind that will keep me out of the overheating situation. I had to laugh, though, and am attaching a photo because I wanted you to see my setup. While I'm a little more cramped, it's the computer case I want you to notice. You know what they say, great minds think alike.

Thanks,

Magus

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3873__Small_.JPG

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My desk has an enclosed area for the tower with only a small hole in the back for cables to run out. Sounds just like yours actually. I haven't had any problems with it.