Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lag spike every 3-4 seconds

• Please log in to reply

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hey everyone,

I'm having a little problem when I'm playing CSS. Every 3-4 seconds I get a lag spike, your first thought is get a better internet connection isnt it? But its not that, because its even happening on local LAN games.

I have recently got a new Radion X1300 graphics card, so my graphics are up quite high. Would I possibley need more RAM so my computer can cope with the graphics?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,
bobbobagan

P.S: I usually get about 70 frames a second, but when I get the spike it dropes to about 20 Frames.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Is anything running in the background?

Post this problem in the Malware section and have them check your HiJack this log to see if everythings okay.

rumble291

rumble291

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
You dont have norton do u cause i had a friend who was having lagg spikes and it was caused by norton. I only use windows firewall its only really needed theres too much hipe about hackers and stuff and i have never had a hacker attack my computer when i had a firewall for about 2 years.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
BlackPandemic: ok, ill ask in the malware section.

Rumble291: No, I use eTrust anti-virus, and for my firewall I use BlackICE and the windows firewall.

MoViEsTaR

MoViEsTaR

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Your tick rate is too high try setting i lower.

bobbobagan

bobbobagan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
how do I do that? its not a sever its a client side problem

MoViEsTaR

MoViEsTaR

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
You did say you had the same trouble when hosting a lan game... lag pauses like this is normaly caused by a high tick rate setting in servers.

What is your system spec plz?? i know your graphics will handle it fine.

tennisboy

tennisboy

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
in console pressing "`" its in the far left top of your keyboard put in:

rate 20000
cl_cmdbackup "2"
cl_cmdrate "100.000000"

u can also make a autoexec.cfg config in the location of csss which is most liekly: program files/valve/css//"your email"/csstrike/cfg

and just edit copy paste your config and change the name to autoexec.cfg and now it does it automatically everytime u open css.

I had the same problem as u and now its all fixed =D