Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Advice? My computer won't start...

• Please log in to reply

cmb

cmb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I push the power button and nothing happens. No lights, no sounds, no response at all. I've held the button, cycled power, checked the plugs, plugged and unplugged eveything, and still not a peep.

My computer has been having some problems. It would run loud. And then it started shutting itself off very weirdly. I'd be typing email or surfing the net and then it would just power down. Instantly. I did open the box and try to remove some dust. And the week before by friend formatted the drive using something called fdisk and then we reinstalled the software.

Any thoughts as to what's really wrong with my computer? Is it fried or will it start again?

Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
First thing to suspect with your symptoms is a dead PSU (Power Supply Unit). They are not expensive --- just make sure it's at least 350-watt. If you can borrow one that is known to be okay just to prove if it is the PSU that will save you buying one unnecessarily. But i would definitely check out the PSU first before suspecting something else.

drputer

drputer

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Start with the power supply. I fixed a computer with a similar problem, the lady though the computer had just died and she got a new one and had me hall that one off after moving here old files over to her new computer. I took an extra power supply I had and pluged it in to that computer and it powered up! Just becareful not to touch the motherboard without grounding yourself.

If this doesn't work it could be a dead battery on the motherboard. If that is the case the fix would only be around $2-$3. Did you notice your clock not staying set before this happen?

If neither one of those work your switch might be broke (not likely) or your motherboard is gone (static charge, cracked, etc.) This could be it, did you use canned air to clean out the inside of your computer? I hope so and not a vacuum cleaner :tazz: I know people that have done that.

cmb

cmb

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the advice. I had the power supply and CPU fan replaced this afternoon and so far I've had no problems. I think it was a combination of overheating and low power.