Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Way to get internet at 2 diffrent homes?

• Please log in to reply

Vision

Vision

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Well im confused and wondering If I could get internet at 2 diffrent homes.
My parents are divroced and I flip flop to each parents house every week, and I am wondering If i buy a router/adapter hoook up the router to my main computer at my moms and the adapter connected to my computer (still at moms) upstairs in my room getting internet. And when I go to my dads the adapter that I bought can get internet singal from the router that is here at my dads (linksys)?

So I am bascially asking, Can I get internet at my moms (when Im there) and go to my dads getting internet there from the router at my dads.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If you want to use the internet in a different room from where the router is (at both houses) you would need to have a wireless router at both locations, and fit a wireless card to your laptop or PC. Provided the card is compatible with both routers (eg 802.11b or 802.11g), then all you would need to do is switch between the two wireless access-points (the routers) depending on which house you're in, using the software you get with the wireless card.

Edited by pip22, 29 July 2006 - 08:15 AM.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes, thank you that clears so much up for me LoL. Well theres one thing though, how would i find out if my router here at my dads is either 802.11b or 802.11g? If I find out which one it is I would buy a router for my moms and a adapter that can work with 802.11b or 802.11g depending on router here at my dads.

The router here at my dads is Linksys Wireless-B Broadband Router(says on router)
Model : BEFW1154

EDIT: After researching about the router I came across someone saying this
"The BEFW11S4 would be a good choice, as it is both a 4 port router with built in inbound firewall, and support 802.11b wi-fi" So the router supports 802.11b, and I guess I need to get a 802.11b router for my moms. but I see with wireless adapters they say 802.11b/g? like here on Newegg http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833135111

Does this mean I can get any router there is and that adapter will support both 802.11b and 802.11g

Also can I use a diffrent brand adapter with a diffrent router, cause I hear linksys is kinda bad for gaming?
Suggested router and adapter for gaming?

Edited by Vision, 29 July 2006 - 03:25 PM.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I know everyone is doing this for free but could somone reply to my post?
I have been waiting for awhile and gotten a reply.

/bump?

- George

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry I missed you Vision, free network help is scarse and the amount of traffic through here can sometimes seem overwhelming. :help:

It doesn't matter if the router is G or B.... Nearly all wirelss cards you buy today support both B and G.

As for brands it makes pretty much no difference what brand you get.. the only thing you need to worry about is if it is 802.11 or not... which unless you are shopping in the antartica in a time warp from 20 years ago, it will be.

Before I started getting a good paycheck i had a Motorrolla modem, a Netgear router (B), and 2 pc's with wireless cards.. one was a D-link Wireless G and the other a SMC wireless B.....<--- cheapest card on planet earth.... :whistling:

Any other problems or if you need further help.... I will be watching this post for at least three days... any time after that... just Pm me to get my attention. :blink:

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 23 August 2006 - 01:34 AM.

Vision

Vision

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thank you SpaceCowboy706, one last question about your PC card, did the SMC wireless B card have good or bad connection? Cause my computer at my dads will be like 50 steps to my room or so. At my moms I know i will be upstairs and to the left a lil, the computer there is near the stairs so around 25 steps to get upstairs and to my room/computer.

Would the connection be | bad . Mediochre . Amazing | ?

Also, do you have to pay extra for 2 modems? Cause I'm broke and dont feel like waiting to buy a router till october. I have a second modem in my house, if i plugged it in my phone line upstairs got my ethernet cable -> plugged in computer and got it running would I get internet? Or do I have to pay?

I have Time warner Cable so i think its a motorola modem on my current computer (idk) but the second modem is Speedstream, I have Time warner here at my dads to. If i brought it here to would it still work at my dads?

Thanks alot man I'll keep you in mind if I ever need help with the networking of my computer. Danke : )

Edited by Vision, 23 August 2006 - 10:05 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Time warner May be different than were I work at (Cox Com - cable internet) but we are only allowed to have 1 modem per account. You will have to check with time warner to be sure though....

As for the wireless b speeds you should have no problems connecting and surfing (Unless you walls are made of Lath/Plaster/chicken Wire) <-- houses usually built before the 1970's, then you will have connection issues.