Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

graphics card

• Please log in to reply

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi forum
:blink: The reason i am asking is that my graphics card causing the computer to go to safe mode. I need a new graphics card and I dont know if the card is on the motherboard or if it is seperate from the motherboard then how do i find out which one it is so that i can replace it. I have a ATI radeon pro which would be a better card to replace it with or should i get the same type that i have already have. And can you tell me how to install it.Thanks for all the help.

Scottish cougar :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You can run Belarc Advisor (get it at http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html ), it will tell you all about your computer and it is free. If your video is on board (built into the motherboard) you won't be able to replace it with the same, unless you replace the motherboard. Once you have the info provided by Belarc, you can determine what possible solutions are available. It will tell you your motherboard make and model and with that, you can find out if the board has only "on board" or supports AGP. In either case, you will be able to find a replacement, without replacing the motherboard. If the board does not support AGP, you can get a PCI video card (not PCI-I e unless your motherboard supports it). Run belarc and see what you have. You will have to access the bios and disable on board video if that is what failed, and then replace with AGP or PCI.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi austin o
:blink: I have downloaded the programme and this is the result under the display it saids 128 DDR ATI radeon 9800 pro [display adapter].
128 mb DDR ATI radeon 9800 pro sec[display driver]it also says on the main circuit board board dell computer corp then bus clock bios and dell monitor that all the information that download is a great idea thanks for your help.

scottish cougar :whistling:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
According to my dogpile search, 128 DDR ATI radeon 9800 pro is AGP. I take it you have a Dell computer? You can go to Dell's web page and confirm by searching support on your particular model number. Replacing the video card is easy. Take the old one out, put the new one in. You should clean up the drivers using Driver Cleaner (free) from http://www.drivercleaner.net/ If I were going to replace the video card, this would be the sequence of events. Make sure the current driver is available to install. Go to add/remove programs and remove the video driver. Then, boot into safe mode, run driver cleaner TWICE, each time deleting all that it finds. Then shut down and remove the old card, install the new one. Then reboot and install the new hardware and driver.

Just curious, how did you reach the conclusion that you need a new graphics card? You could try doing the driver clean up detailed above on the card you already have. It might solve your problem.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi Austin_0
:blink: thank you for your sugesten. I did what you sugested and my computer still crashed so there for i think i need a new card

Edited by scottish cougar, 29 July 2006 - 02:10 PM.

scottish cougar

scottish cougar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Hi Austin_0
:) thank you for your sugesten. I did what you sugested and my computer still crashed so there for i think i need a new card

Hi austin o
:woot: Thanks for your help I have since went out and bought a new graghics card and my computer is working again.thanks again :blink:

scottish cougar :help:

Edited by scottish cougar, 31 July 2006 - 02:36 AM.