Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Totally Perplexed

• Please log in to reply

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hello all.

First of all, the computer specs:
System: HP pavilion dv8000, XPv5.1.2600 SP2
Router: Linksys WRT54GS v.5
Adapter: Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN (internal)

Now for the story:

About 2 days ago, I rebooted my computer out of hibernate mode (I only fully shut it down every few days), and discovered that my internet connection wasn't working. This in itself was a little weird, since my home network is set to detect automatically, and my router isnt more than five feet away from the computer. What's weirder is that in the notification area at the bottom of the screen, it showed that wireless connections were in range. Now for the part that has me stumped. The computer was detecting wireless connections in range, but when i opened the wireless connections window, the computer showed, and still does show, no connections in range.

So, just to clarify that last bit, the computer simultaneously detects wireless networks, and has on various occasions since even been able to connnect to them, but at the same time will not display them or recognize them even after refreshing the network list multiple times.

things I tried:

using the repair wireless connection option

Disabling and enabling using the wireless adapter button

disabling and enabling using the device manager

uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter's drivers

reconfiguring router (this one, i found out yesterday, wouldnt have worked anyways as the adapter will not detect ANY wireless networks, i.e. work, library, etc)

uninstalling adapter, reinstalling, and then going through all adapter configuration setups (both the linksys and the HP ones, as well as the one that comes with windows.) NOTE: these all are particularly frustrating because they prove that the computer CAN connect over the router, it just doesnt... want to?

Finally, the one thing i've tried that can work. If i go into the connection properties and press add under the connection properties section, and-- this is where i start suspecting malware and or/insanity on my part-- immediatley click ok without filling in any information it makes an automatic profile which is the only way for the adapter to establish a working connection (SOMETIMES) with the internet. Even worse, if i then try to do anything else, (I.E see what properties were automatically entered so i could maybe remedy the problem), i get two errors which I cannot understand the cause of: One is an explorer error, which locks up the computer until I ctrl alt del it. At that point, it gives me an error for something called Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger, and begins working normally (albeit without the wireless) again.

I did a virus scan (nothing) but in any case will be posting a hijackthis log in the malware board.
Well, I think that pretty much covers it in as much detail as i can give. suggestions/questions appreciated. Anyone with a solution to this one gets much respect on my part.

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello Sdelgiudice and welcome to G2G,

That was was probably the best written "plea for help" i've seen on here. Outstanding job including all the prerequisite information needed for me to help you out. So here goes, follow these steps and lets see whats causing your problem:

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in: appwiz.cpl and hit OK
4. Copy down every program in the list and reply back to me:

1.JPG

5. Close out the Add / Remove Program window
6. Click on START
7. Click on RUN
8. Type in: msconfig and hit OK
9. Click on the SERVICES Tab
10. Put a Check in the Hide All Microsoft Services Box
11. Reply back with what all boxes have a check in them
12. Click on the STARTUP Tab
13. Reply back with what all boxes have a check in them
14. Click on the Cancel button

15. Click on START
16. Click on RUN
17. Type in: services.msc and hit OK
18. Scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration and under Status reply back if it is STARTED, STOPPED, or BLANK
19. Close out the Services window

We are attemtping to see what wireless configuration utilities are running, Post back all replies as directed.

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
[Screenshots deleted for privacy purposes]

Wireless Zero Configuration Status:

Started with a startup type of Automatic

Many thanks for the help and guidance.

Edited by Sdelgiudice, 29 July 2006 - 09:54 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
You are running 3 wirless configuration utilities for one card. We need to make it just one. I choose the windows WZC because I think it is the best and it is the one I know the best. If you agree with me let me know, so we can disable the other two. If not then let me know which one of the three you want to use.

Three active ones running:

1. Wireless Zero Configuration Service (WZC)
2. HP Wireless Assistant 2.00 C1
3. Wireless Home Network

PS.... Take down those screenshots, so everyone in the world doesnt know whats on your PC.

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
WZC would be fine.

Thanks again for the help!

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in: appwiz.cpl and hit OK

Select the following two programs and then click the Change / Remove button to uninstall each one:

HP Wireless Assistant 2.00 C1
Wireless Home Network

After completed, Restart the Computer then perform the following:

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in: ncpa.cpl and hit OK
4. Right Click on your Wireless Device and select View Available Wireless Networks
5. When the Wireless Network Screen appears and is done searching, select your Broadcast and click the Connect Buton.
6. If after this step you receive any error Messages Please reply back <Reply 1>
7. If not then, you should now be Good to go <Reply 2>

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sad to say that it's reply one for me.

My modem broadcast is still not being detected, and no other broadcasts are being detected that i know of.

2 new finds:

when i try to use ipconfig, it will refuse to open. what looks like a command prompt window flashes onscreen for a split second and then disapears

second- when using the repair option on my adapter, it gets as far as the "connecting to wireless network", pauses for several seconds, and then gives me an error about windows not being able to finish repairing due to the fact that the "connecting to the wireless network" action could not be completed.

maybe these are leads?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

when i try to use ipconfig, it will refuse to open. what looks like a command prompt window flashes onscreen for a split second and then disapears

Your doing it incorrectly: from the run box you type in cmd or command then when the black screen appears you type in ipconfig.

1. Click on START
2. Click on RUN
3. Type in: ncpa.cpl and hit OK
4. When you right Click on the wireless device what options do you have in the popup list <Reply 1>

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ooops. Good call on the ipconfig.

My options are as follows:

Disable
View Available Wireless Networks
Status (unselectable)
Repair
-----------------
Bridge Connections
-----------------
Create Shortcut
Delete (unselectable)
Rename
------------------
Properties

Hope this helps!

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
you there, space cowboy?

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Sorry so long on replying.... Had two houses to do for grand total of 21 Cat5E internal outlets that had to be wired.... took me two days of dying in attic's :whistling: Dont worry i will never leave you hangin.. if i cant fix ya i will call down the thunder to assist me :blink:

This following synopsis is mainly for my benefit on what we have covered (thinking out loud so to speak) :help: , but if you would read over it and make sure that you have attempted everything listed then we will proceed further:

uninstalling and reinstalling the adapter's drivers <-- u did this on your own

disabling and enabling using the device manager <-- u did this on your own

Will not detect any wireless networks (IE Library or work also) <-- u did this on your own

Uninstalled / removed from startup all wireless Configuration utilities except WZC <-- i walked you through this

What we know for sure is that the problem is not with your router, as the problem still persists when attempting to connect to local public broadcasts.

What we know for sure is that WZC is working correctly because you are able to access it and search for networks and also you had the same results when using the other utilities.

So our only possible causes left are:

The Drivers are Corrupted (from your install source)
The card is defective or malfunctioned in some way
Your Operating System has went on vacation or strike

So lets check the first of the possible causes

Click on Start.
Click on Run.
Type in: devmgmt.msc and hit OK.
Scroll down to Network Adapters and expand the Category by Clicking the "+" sign next to it.
Do any of the Items have a Yellow "!" or red "x" on them. Post a Screenshot of this screen.
Right Click on your wireless device and select Properties.
Under the General tab and then the Device Status box what exactly does it say.
Click on the Driver Tab and post a screenshot of the window.
Under the Driver tab, click on the Driver Details button and post a screenshot of it also.
Click on the Resources Tab and post a screenshoit of it also.

Now for the second possible cause

We cannot take the card out, or replace it, as it is internal and i am not proficient enough with your brand of laptop to try and walk you through that over a forum posting. So the next best thing, is to go to walmart or your local PC store and purchase the cheapest wireless network adapter known to man... Either PCMIA or USB based, depending on what slotes you have available. If you want to try this option here is a list of some really cheap options at walmart:

USB Options

PCMIA Options

Now for the third possible cause

If causes one and two prove not to be the problem then i will have to get assistance from a OS Expert, but lets wait on this so we can rule out the other two.

mo_is_ammo

mo_is_ammo

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey guys,

It's creepy but I'm having a super similar problem. I've followed your post, but I'm going to start my own thread. Hopefully after you get Sdelgiudice's problem resolved you can help me with mine.

Good luck Sdelgiudice and keep up the good work Spacecowboy706

Sdelgiudice

Sdelgiudice

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Device Manager:

DevManAdap.jpg

Adapter Properties

DevManAdapProp.jpg

Drivers Tab:

Devmanadapdriv.jpg

Driver Details:

devmanadapdrivdet.jpg

Resources Tab:

_devmanadapres.jpg

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Go to this address and download the updated driver version (SP28537 Download) for bcmwl5.sys, which is the current driver you are using. After installing it and restarting your PC, please follow these steps:

Click on START
Click on RUN
Type in: ncpa.cpl and hit Ok
Right Click on your Broadcom Wreless card and select Properties
Under the General tab in the box for "This connection uses the following items"
Please copy down all the items listed there, making sure to scroll down and then reply back with them.