Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Heatsink for Gateway 700GR

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Today i bought a Zalman CNPS9500 that fits All Dual Core CPU's, All Pentium 4 CPU's (Socket 775/478), All AMD Sempron and AMD64 CPU's( Socket 754/939/940). I got home and tried to install it on my gateway 700gr which is a socket T(775) and it dosent fit. Is there a special bracket i can buy that will allow me to use aftermarket heatsinks with gateway computers.
I called gateway and they are a bunch of idiots telling me to call e-machines to get a new heatsink that is the same as i have now.

PS.. This is the heatsink i bought today at compusa... http://www.compusa.c...rocessor_Cooler

Edited by Longhorns242, 29 July 2006 - 01:51 PM.

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Please Help?¿?¿?¿?¿?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres some.

http://www.directron.com/cnps8000.html

http://www.directron.com/clp0220.html

http://www.directron...cnps7700cu.html

If you need a smaller heatsink this one might be of interest.

http://www.directron.com/icecone.html

SRX660

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
yes those are socket 775 and so was the one i bought today but what i am asking is the holes for the heatsink that came with the computer do not align with the bracket for the 775 socket. Is there a special bracket i can buy that will allow me to use aftermarket heatsinks with gateway computers

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok so i chated with gateway and this is the run around they gave me

Sherry_GWPS011 joined the incident.

Sherry_GWPS011 says:
Thank you for contacting Upgrade Sales. My name and badge number are Sherry_GWPS011. What upgrades were you thinking about today?
Sherry_GWPS011 says:
Hello Gene!
Sherry_GWPS011 says:
How may I help you today?
Gene Guidry says:
Hi
Gene Guidry says:
Well i purchased a Zalman Heatsink for my Gateway 700gr and it doset fit...is there a special bracked or something i need to get it to work...the heatsink i bought today was a 775 socket type and so is my motherboard
Sherry_GWPS011 says:
According to your submission and my data, the serial number for your Gateway system is XSL4811018828. Is this correct?
Gene Guidry says:
yes
Sherry_GWPS011 says:
Thanks. Have you already contacted our Parts Department to get the correct part, Gene?
Gene Guidry says:
no i did not because i did not know if there was a part i could buy to make aftermarket heatsinks work with my gateway 700gr
Sherry_GWPS011 says:
To order parts please contact our parts department at 1-888-368-7898.
Gene Guidry says:
ok but is there a part that will allow me to use aftermarket heatsinks????
Sherry_GWPS011 says:
We don't have the parts that you need here, Gene. We only have upgrades like memory, hard drive, CD/|DVD drives.
Gene Guidry says:
ok thanks

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I do not know what your motherboard looks like. Perhaps you have a strange setup on the motherboard. I have a standard gateway computer here that i installed a zalman heatsink on the P4 processor using the included brackets that came in the zalman kit. The brackets did cause me to remove the motherboard from the case to install a backplate that used the standard P4 heatsink bolt holes to attach the zalman brackets to for support.

SRX660

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
im going to restart and take a picture of my motherboard.

Posted Image

Edited by Longhorns242, 29 July 2006 - 08:06 PM.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
the whole that is right below the memory bay is where the existing one goes (it also goes to the other 3 holes)
Posted Image

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
see those 4 big holes that are really far from the cpu...that is where my heatsink plugs in.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Yep, you certainly have one of the weird heatsink setups. If i had to redo this i would be digging out my Dremel kit and find an old cdrom drive to use the case to make my own brackets. Thats the problem with these odd build motnerboards. Now you have 3 choices. Run the stock cooler, custom build brackets to fit, or buy a different motherboard that is more of a normal setup and fits your case. I wonder what company made that MB.

SRX660

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
the other odd thing is about this setup is that (when ur faceing the case) the tight side opens where as every other pc opens on the left side.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Well from the looks of it that's a BTX motherboard. I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but on newegg I searched for BTX heatsinks and they only had BTX heatsink/fans, like this one:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103003

Look at those measurements, and measure yours. That could possibly be your only option.

Gamerlicious

Gamerlicious

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
Oh and one other thing. I also have a Gateway with a BTX motherboard and yes, the right side does open instead of the left. Just the way they make them I guess.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
problem solved..went to local comp warehouse store and bought a new case and new motherboard and heatsink. Screw Gateway.