Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hello, this is my first post, so I just wanna say hello. But on to the nitty gritty. Heres my problem over the last cople of days my computer will randomly restart when I am playing World Of Warcraft. I'll just be running along the road and boom it just restarts for no apparent reason. The comp doesnt appear to be enfected by a virus. But I believe it to be something affilated with the internet. While I surf the internet sometimes especially when I try and jump from one page to my email the internet will encounter an error that requires me to close all of my internet browers.

This tends to happen mostly when I go to my yahoo browser. Once Im done looking at my email I go to close the window and the error pops up. At this point I'm kinna stuck becuase I really have no idea what could be the problem. I've had to run chkdks/ r once before, but after it finished everthing popped right back up. So any and all ideas are welcome. If I need a program or if I need to update my windwos, because I dont have service pack 1. But like I said any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks for taking the time to read my post.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Well first of all you need to get all the critical windows updates especially if you don't have sp1. I would then run a full system scan with a updated virus software, if you need virus software go here its free.

I would then run adaware you can get it for free here

Do these things first and post back, you need to have all the critical updates tfrom MS including sp1 and you should also have sp2 but don't worry about sp2 just yet. Without sp1 if your computer is on the internet for any period of time it could be infected with any number of things and its hard to tell if its software related or hardware. Once all the updates are in place and the computer is clean we can check out hardware if needed.

Rick

Cugino

Cugino

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Could it possible be that his cpu fan has gone bad and his computer is overheating and then restarting?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well yes that is very possible but with what he describes I would look at software and a clean computer before getting into hardeware

Rick

Verst

Verst

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Don't think it's the CPU overheating because the computer usually shuts down to protect itself in that case. Could be a defective RAM module. Happened to me once, the computer would just randomly restart.
I agree with Doby, check out the software first. Recently installed adaware on a friends computer (no prior protection) and on the first scan it found about 70 items...

FutureWoWplayer

FutureWoWplayer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Well I downloaded the two programs at the top post, and I did find a trojan virus, but the virus program got rid of it. Unfortunately it didnt help my internet problem. I havent had a restart in a few days now which is good. But everytime i try and switch websites from yahoo the internet encounters the error. Could it be the rma that is causing this. Although im really doubtful that its a hardware thing. What is could it be.

Thanks to everyone for there ideas. Keep'em comin.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Make sure you have all the critical MS updates, I would then start a thread over in software with your problem, the people over there have more expertise with this kind of problem. It don't look like its hardware.

Rick