Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with showing formulas on MS excel

• Please log in to reply

aquaknight

aquaknight

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need to create a spread sheet for microsoft but i need to show the formulas in a certain column not the value but when i do the "ctrl+`" it makes the dates like 12-march-1994 turn into random numbers. And it keeps on auto changing it back to the numbers when ever i try to change it back. What should i do so that the "ctrl+`" thing only works on the selected column?

P.S. I've tried hightlighting the column but it still effects the whole thing

Thanks

Edited by aquaknight, 29 July 2006 - 08:23 PM.

Advertisements

dsm

dsm

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
aquaknight,
The CTRL+` Alternates between displaying cell values and displaying formulas in the worksheet.
This can NOT be applied to specific cells, it can only be turned on or off for the entire worksheet.

The dates are not turning into random numbers. They are being displayed as the original date serial number. Refer to MS Help extract below.

About dates and date systems
Microsoft Excel stores dates as sequential numbers which are called serial values. By default, January 1, 1900 is serial number 1, and January 1, 2008 is serial number 39448 because it is 39,448 days after January 1, 1900. Excel stores times as decimal fractions because time is considered a portion of a day.

Because dates and times are values, they can be added, subtracted, and included in other calculations. You can view a date as a serial value and a time as a decimal fraction by changing the format of the cell that contains the date or time to General format.

Because the rules that govern the way that any calculation program interprets dates are complex, you should be as specific as possible about dates whenever you enter them. This will produce the highest level of accuracy in your date calculations

I think I understand what you want to do, but I am not sure there is a way to do it from a worksheet formula perspective.

Why do you want to see the formula only for a specific range of cells and not all cells?
Maybe there is a different way to solve your problem other than displaying certain fomulas.

Regards
dsm