Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

visual basic

• Please log in to reply

unearth203

unearth203

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i would like to know where i could buy visual basic from i preferably need 6.0 or 5.0

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this what you need?

http://www.microsoft...;DisplayLang=en

OR

Visual Studio Express

http://msdn.microsof...dio/express/vb/

Microsoft Corp now-free Visual Studio® 2005 Express editions

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
i think so, i downloaded it but how am i supposed to use the express edition it didnt make an icon or anything

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, all programmes, is it in the list, if so you can click that or right click it, click pin to start menu, or click create shortcut

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
yes this is what i am look in for but is there any way to get 6.0, i got a video game design program that i need 5.0 or 6.0

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you post the exact name of the visual basic programme that the video game design programme says that it needs

Does it need visual basic runtime files or another one?

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
alright all it says is, "this book focuses exclusivly on visual basic 6.0, there is no support whatsoever for visual basic.net, you may use any version of 6.0 including the learners edition, in addition you may use visual basic 5.0 if you do not have 6.0 because the complier behind both is nearly the same." thats all it says about it in a little section called "which version of visual basic" i also need directx 8.0.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is for direct x version 9 which will include anything needed for version 8

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

" Unfortunately it is not possible to buy VB6 from retailers anymore, this is because Microsoft has replaced Visual Studio 6.0 with Visual Studio .NET, which includes an updated version of VB - VB .NET. As this version is very different to VB6, many people still use VB6 their programming language of choice. If you are a user of VB5, migrating to VB6 is very easy as VB6 is an updated version of VB5. Migrating to VB .NET would require you to learn VB again as there are many changes.

The best way to get VB6 these days is to buy a second hand copy - eBay is a particularly good place to try.
"

http://www.martin2k.co.uk/vb6/

You could ask the game programme maker if visual studio versions will work with it

The visual basic runtime download would not place an icon anywhere, it installs files a programme which needs them can use

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
so i take it i wont be able to find vb 5.0 either except from maybe ebay, is vb 2005 some what the same?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Visual studio express is free so ask the game programme maker if you can use it before looking on e-bay

Advertisements

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok can i upgrade to vb 6 from studio express

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As I understand it, studio express replaced visual basic, although Microsoft would be able to confirm that, or the game maker can say if it is suitable

It is unusual for Microsoft to stop producing something without replacing it, (98/ME/2000/XP/Vista etc), so there should be a programme available which does everything, and more, that visual basic 6 did

However, I wouldn't know what the programme is, sorry

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok its cool, i contacted the programe author, and asked what should i do about this

unearth203

unearth203

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
ok i contacted the programme author and he gave a smart alic remark, he said "what do i look like a ask jeeves to you", so is there any thing i can do

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What is the name of the programme