Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Socket 775 and Conroe

• Please log in to reply

chris73

chris73

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Over at Tiger Direct they have the new Core 2 Duo's and several Intel 775 boards (and 1 Asus) for these chips. I was looking for a DFI or Epox board to build a new system however. Can I use any 775 board or are there differences for the new Core 2 Duo chips?

Additionally, will an AM2 system be as future proof as a new Conroe build? The time is now for my new machine, but I'm VERY confused as to which way to go. Especially if the Quad Core intel's won't be supported on the same mobo.

Thanks!

Advertisements

jigga211

jigga211

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Your current 775 board will not support Core 2 Duo's, they require new boards to run on, also the future Kentsfield will be supported on the same board as the Core 2 Duo's because they are just x2 Core 2 Duo's.

Here a list of released boards that currently suport Core 2 Duo's (keep in mind more are to come within a month)

Intel 975X Chipset Boards

Asus - P5W DH Deluxe
Asus - P5WD2-E Premium but you need Rev 1.3 for conroe
DFI - Infinity 975X/G
Intel - D975XBX need rev304 for conroe
Msi - 975X Platinum ver2 a.k.a PowerUp Edition (available starting next week)

Intel P965/G965/Q965/Q963 Chipset Boards

Asus - P5B
Asus - P5B Deluxe
GigaByte - GA-965P-DS4
GigaByte - GA-965P-DS3
GigaByte - GA-965P-DQ6
Msi - P965 Platinum (available starting next week)

hope that helps.