Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PHOTO PRINTER recommendations...

• Please log in to reply

PGH

PGH

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi everyone,

I want a photo printer which is not too expensive and prints as near to photo store quality as possible, and can do borderless A4 prints, and preferably has a direct print from camera function and LCD screen. Just browsing some manufacturers' websites, it seems that photo printers aren't coming with LCD screens so much now?

I was considering the HP Photosmart 8050, which is currently very cheap on Amazon UK because it's just been discontinued by HP, but then I read some reviews saying that some lighter photos were grainy with visible dots - which is just the kind of thing I'd rather pay more to avoid. It seems to have some other good features like automatic paper type recognition, but all I really care about is the print quality. I also read a review saying that it has a tendancy to take in the paper wonkily and thus not get the borderless prints right - something else I definitely want to avoid (the usual inkjet nightmare of paper feeding)

I'd like to hear of anyone's experiences with similar photo printers, and if anyone has any recommendations or warnings against certain products. I've never had a photo printer before so I don't really know what's standard, what's good and bad etc., but I'm getting sick of paying high photo store prices for any prints larger than 4 x 6 (like A4 prints).

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the availability of compatible cartridges, or if you can get a continuous ink system for the printer

I have 3 different models of Epson photo printers but they don't like printing borderless at good quality DPI

They perform well with A4 centred which has a 3mm border per side

If you have a dedicated photo printer then automatic paper detetion is not essential, and some paper comes with directions for adjusting the settings for different printers

PGH

PGH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I banished inkjet printers in favour of colour laser because of the paper (mis)feeding issues, the wonky margins etc. which my HP inkjet always caused, but now I want to print photos at home the laser jet isn't any good, as I can't get photo store quality results or use very glossy paper.

I really need a printer which can do borderless without problems, if such a thing exists, as I really hate borders on photos. :whistling: . What's the deal with continuous ink system? Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You have a bottle for each cartridge which feeds ink by tube to a permanent cartridge, then top up the bottles as required