Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My New System

• Please log in to reply

Fordeus

Fordeus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
To Whom it May Concern,
Recently after I sucessfully destroyed my video card and damage my processor I decided to build a new system. I was wondering what everyone thought of the following specs...
Nvidia GeForce 7950GX2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ (http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103545)
The Cache is kinda low on the processor though so I have my doubts....
OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2-1GB DDR 400...
I was thinking this stuff unless I wanna go with DDR2...
As Far as the Motherboard goes, I can't seem to find one that I like....It's gotta support the processor, have good sound (I know most onboard sound sucks....), and be stable altogether. I was hopping that people would have some recomendations....I figured I would probably wanna stay with either LanParty or ASUS...
The rest of the parts I already own or know what I want....It was just these four components that I was unsure about. Thanks for helping me :blink:.

Peter

:whistling:

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Everything looks good, but that is one heck of an expensive video card. So, unless you already own it or are getting an outstanding deal on it, you might want to hold off a few months. Sometime around the end of this year, or the beginning of next year, DX10 cards will be released and you can spend the $500+ on one of those. Just a thought.

Fordeus

Fordeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Okay I spent a little more time and organized more what I want. Here it is....

Mobo-MSI K8N Diamond Plus
LINK
About $180

Processor-AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
LINK
About $330

Video Card-Nvidia Geforce 7950GX2
LINK
About $610

RAM- OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB, DDR400
LINK
About $140

I have just a few small questions about my selection. First I am not getting DDR2, just DDR. Will this be a problem in the near future? Also I have a ASPIRE Power Supply at 500W. I feel confident that this is enough for the 7950 but I did want to make sure that 500Watts would be powerful enough. Thanks again for the help

Peter

P.S. The reason I went with the 7950 is so that I can getting two of the same card. And also going SLI would be about 200 dollars more :whistling:.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
sli and the 7950's will be a waste of money it sounds good but when DX10 comes out you will already be behind the 8-ball dont waste your money seriously for the money you are spending on two of thoose things you would be able to buy a mid range DX10 card and still it will be around 2 or 3 times better and faster than the two 7950's

they are good graphics cards but they came out way to late. if the had of been released a while ago nvidea might have been able to make some money of it but with DX10 around teh corner dont bother you will be throwing your money down the drain

troppo

Fordeus

Fordeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I sorry I don't think I made myself very clear. I wasn't planning on purchasing two 7950's, I don't have near that kind of money (also I don't believe it is supported atm). The point was that I will be getting a what is similiar to a SLI setup by purchasing just ONE 7950. If I were to try to buy to 7900's I would end up spending 1000 dollars or so. And since I am going to college this Fall, I really don't have time to wait around for the new line of video cards :whistling: .

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well if thast teh case dont bother buying an expensive video card. buy somehting farly cheap and then when the new video cards come out buy one of them.

seriouxly it will be worth the wait and worth the money

troppo

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont get that video card High end vid cards like that are ruddy great white elephants youll love it for about month then kick yourself for years for wasting the money on it, they dont hold value at the best of times but with DX10 you wont be able to give away that card in 6 months. Just a waste even if DX10 wasnt coming out $600 for a VIDEO CARD is kinda ok when the rest of the systme is top notch but get something more sensible and invest in an E6600 or better for your CPU and some really good ram, and maybe get an X-fi. With that CPU the 7950 is totally wasted the CPU will bottleneck it.

I would probably say get a 7900GT or x1900XT with a good CPU they are more than capable of playing games at maxxed out settings with FPS over 60 at normal res of 1280x1024, you dont need anything more powerful than those cards unless your monitor is very high resolution otherwise you waste power.

Fordeus

Fordeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
WarriorScot (or anyone...),
What if I went with the the 7900GTX instead? LINK
That way I spend less on the Video Card. As far as changing to Intel, I would rather stay away from that as my laptop for college is already a Intel Core Duo Processor (and I like the chosen Mobo for the AMD processor). Also what if I spent a little more then and bought 2 GB of CORSAIR XMS 184-Pin DDR SDRAM? LINK
Do you think that would save me money and eliminate the wasted speed of a 7950?

Thanks for the input,
Peter

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The memory would be a slight boost but to be honest DDR2 performance with AMD is underwhelming its no better than the DDR performance(curse of DDR memory controller being so good) more expensive stuff wont make as much difference its amounts of ram that makes big performance difference.

A GTX would be better suited but even that is a little much just a GT or X1900XT would be more than fine, ATI are releasing a GDDR$ souped up x1900 soon you might be in time to get one maybe just but they are being very close handed with release info at ATI.

The board is a good one that is the advantage of AMD but seriously Core 2 Duos whup the royal AMD backside, the E6600 is alot faster than the 5000+ which is what i would suggest you spend the money saved with the gfx card on eif you arent going intel then get the 5000+ with the money you saved its not as fast as the 6600(10-16% slower in games) but its pretty nippy CPU by anyones standards.

Fordeus

Fordeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Warriorscot,
After looking around I set up a build with a Core 2 Duo. What do you think of this.
Processor-Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13GHz ($250)
LINK
Mobo- ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP Socket T (LGA 775) Intel P965 Express ($250)
LINK
RAM-ORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM ($250)
LINK
Video Card- XFX PV-T71F-YDF9 GeForce 7900 GTX (665MHz) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 ($450)
LINK
Total Price-1200 Dollars
How does that sound. I am utilizing the new Intel Processors and not wasting a 150 dollars or so on a 7950, which in the long run yes your probably right I would regret having (with technology always changing so fast and all). Anyway thoughts on this would be appreciated :whistling:
Peter
P.S. After looking at these benches I realized AMD could not compete with Intel...
Anandtech's benches

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
for video card dont get the 7950gx2 or the 7900GTX, if u get the 7900GT 512MB, just do some ocing and you can beat out the 7900GTX.

as for mobo and cpu, form what im seeing ur getting s939, then i would DEFINITELY get the Opteron 170 or 175 with a DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D, and OC IT LIKE MAD!!! Opteorn 165/170/175 are AWESOME overclockers. with the opteron you get 2MB l2 Cache, AND you get to beat the speeds of a FX-62 especially with that DFI.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Looks good there for the intel, if you can the E6600 is the best buy but i dont know what youre prices are like over there(more than here it seems). The 6400 is still a very fast cpu though.

Looks good the only disadvantage to the intels is the poor mobo selection and what they do have is expensive but that seems a good board, memory is good.

Im with Tru techie on the gfx card get the GT save a bit of money and just overclock it to the GTX speeds the GT isnt far off.