Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

newbie to linuk

• Please log in to reply

notmobile

notmobile

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello ive just managed to install kubuntu on my pc alongside windows but i was under the impression that i could access xp from linux and transfer programs or use them directly i m looking for help on how to do this i can use the net on linux but thats about it.....
p.s im a complete newbie to linux but im likeing it.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I am not sure about Ubuntu, but some versions of Linux can access NTFS and others can not. Most can access FAT32 filesystems.

For the most part you can not run Windoze programs from Linux, although there is a package called "wine", as well as some other packages (such as VMWARE), which can allow you to run programs. Each has its own limitations.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
VMWare actually allows you to run an operating system from within an operating system, and test out by putting software on there. I, on my SuSE install can open up my main HDD and then open a folder in there (named "WINDOWS") which takes me to my C: drive on windows.

Using programs from windows can work, depending on the program, but you should expect to have some incompatabilities and most common failures to run.

notmobile

notmobile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
how confused do i feel :whistling:
so what you aresayin is that if i can find the correct programs i can access windoze but a lot of files wont work...

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
No, you should be able to access all of your files by that windows directory, and they should work fine. One thing that might not work however is the programs you have installed on the windows hard drive.