Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Closing browser turns computer off. Bookmarks gone!

• Please log in to reply

lewie

lewie

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hello again!

I've had two events where my browser (Firefox) seems to hang. When I close the browser window, the whole computer shuts down.

This last time, I noticed that my bookmarks have vanished. But my history remains.

When it hung, I was trying to pull up a recipe from cooks.com. (A fairly innocuous site.) I noticed on the status line that the thing was "trying to contact www.burst.com" or something along those lines.

A few days ago, Spybot's teatimer had a spasm and kept asking if I'd allow a registry change. When I finally said "Deny" and "Remember This", it freaked out. Evidently it was fielding the request and denying the change as fast as it could. Complete w/windows lining the entire screen.

I did a hard shut down on the darned computer. Then restarted and took off the tea timer. I ran Clean-Up, and multiple other scans, but did not find anything.

So here I am today, fearing glitches in the system or worse, malware. Suggestions? Should I go via malware forum or here?

Suspicious Sandy

Advertisements