Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

everex laptop,installing new ram chip, , free space.

• Please log in to reply

Sharpchefjeff

Sharpchefjeff

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I own a Everex laptop LM7WZ, it came with one 256k memory chip, but has a space for a additional chip. I just purchased a 1gb memory chip, and according to my wife, i can't install a memory chip, unless its exactly the same as the other one? It is the right type, and size, and correct pin numbers. I have a free open space for a upgrade.....can I install the chip, and have the other one still in, or do I need to remove the older one, and use only the 1gb? Or...do i need another chip of the same, and install a total of 2gb's.

My second question, besides removing the battery, and opening the panel, how does one go about installing a new ram chip?? Even tho, i have one in, and have a open space, is there any harm in just putting in the chip, and installing it??

If anyone would like to help me, it would be greatly appreciated, a walk threw would be a benifit. The EVEREX model manual can be found on line.

Thank you,
[email protected] :whistling:

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. It takes DDR2 so for proper DDR2 performance, they should be a matched set. According to the manufacturer's web site, it currently has Memory: 256MB DDRII 533, upgradeable to 2GB . You could probably take out the 256 and put in the 1 g and will note a great boost in performance.

See http://www.everex.co...lm7wz/lm7wz.htm for more details.

Sharpchefjeff

Sharpchefjeff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How??? Just pull it out, put the new one in, or is there more to it then that???

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Yes, that it all there is to it. Just be sure to observe proper anti-static discharge precautions when working inside of the computer. Use a grounding wrist strap or touch a metal part of the chassis. Static electricity can do serious damage. Use proper precautions, nothing to worry about.

Sharpchefjeff

Sharpchefjeff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
You were the only person who knew exactly what to do. I had no clue if there was some sort of complicated problem with just putting a new one in, with a empty slot. Works great, Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

Quick question......would you know why I cannot get my flash drive to install?? I think there maybe a problem with having the correct driver installed. I ended up returning three differant flash drivers because i think the problem was they were dragged across the demagnetiser at wal-mart. When i get another one, would you be interested in helping me solve the problem, as i already returned the last one? Maybe in another 2 weeks I will be back here trying to figure out the problem.

Thank you for your help,
[email protected]

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
USB flash drives are pretty much plug and play. If you had a bad experience with 3 different drives, it probably wasn't a problem with the drives. Do other usb devices work on your computer?