Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Rom drive doesn't open

• Please log in to reply

x1234

x1234

• Pip
  • 1 posts
For a while now, i've had a pretty tough problem with my computer. As soon as i purchased it, a family member broke off the door of the CD-ROM drive. Ever since then, it won't open. It makes the whirring noises like it should be, but as far as me being able to put in a cd, it's useless.
If it's any help, i have a dell.
The drive that won't open is the one that they installed.. the top, main one.

Please help. I'm extremely frustrated.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
From your description it sounds like a mechanical issue. Your best bet is probably to try and replace the drive. If you have a warranty then you can try and send it back, but if there is any visible damage to the drive, they probably won't take it. Good luck either way.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Considering the drive didn't fail itself (an external source broke it) the warranty (if it's like other hardware warranties) is probably void. Your best bet if they won't take it back is to just dish out a couple bucks for a new drive. Or, if you are tech savvy, you could try opening the drive (considering the warranty is void anyway) and very carefully see if something is misaligned.

But your best bet as I said is probably to just get a new drive.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Get a metal paperclip, straighten it out, then with the system powered on, insert it into the tiny hole in the front of the CD drive (this is normally close to the eject button). This 'may' force the drive tray to eject but if theres something jamming it, then it won't.

Either way, replacing the drive is probably your best bet.