Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive space missing!

• Please log in to reply

rucan

rucan

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello!

I have a bit of a problem with my hard drive. I've searched different forums, but no luck.
This is a short pre-history. I bought a 200 Gb external USB hard drive. It was working fine for a while before my computer crashed. This is when I made a big mistake (or so it appeared) and connected the USB drive to another PC. At this point it gave me an error message and after that the USB hard drive could not be read neither by the new or old PC.

The actual issue:
I have removed the box and took the hard drive out and connected it as a regular hard drive (ATA) to my PC. It worked - I could see all of the data. I have not noticed that there was some missing though. I have reformatted this hard drive. After that, I have reinstalled Windows XP, but noticed that there was about 60Gb missing. I have then reformatted again, but no results. I have checked in Disk Management in Administrative Tools and saw that it shows only 130 Gb of total space. I had a Boot CD which had Partition Magic on it and once loaded, it showed my 190Gb. Unfortunately, I was unable to reformat it from there since it always gives me an error message. When I installed a Windows version of Partition Magic, it only showed 130Gb.

So, if anyone has any opinion or advise on the cause of the problem or about the solution, it would most definitely be appreciated.

Right now I have Windows XP Pro installed on this PC and no other software installed.
Also, there is no other partitions on this hard drive - only one.
Thank you in advance!

Edited by rucan, 30 July 2006 - 09:06 PM.

Advertisements

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
sounds like there is a partionted space of 60 gb....not sure really

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
It sounds like there is an additional partition on the drive. When you go to My Computer, does it show an extra drive?

Ha...answered at the same time as Longhorn...lol.

Edited by kidnova, 30 July 2006 - 09:16 PM.

rucan

rucan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
OK. If there is another partition, how could I possible verify that?
Thank you for a fast reply.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Got to Start>My Computer. If there is an extra partition, it will be listed as a seperate drive.

rucan

rucan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
It does show an extra drive, but this is my second hard drive which is, luckily, fine.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
So, as far as hard drives go, you're only showing C: (your main drive) and D: (your backup)? If that's the case, then I'm not sure where you extra partition is hidden. Hopefully one of the staff members will be able to help you out a little better. Sorry I couldn't be more help.