Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Disk Woes

• Please log in to reply

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I thought I might give linux a go because i was gettin fed up with XP, halfway through the instillation I realised that installing it might be a bit above my level of knowledge. No worries i thought as i stuck in my Recovery CD that was supplied with my laptop (i have used it a number of times) everything was going according to plan, it deleted the partitions and formatted the HD. It told me to take out the cd and restart, which i did.
Problem: I push the power button, the toshiba screen pops up and gives a little beep (this is normal) then a grey screen comes up covered in what appears to be 7's. Thats all that happens. I have tried using the recovery cd again but i get the same problem. Does anyone have any bright ideas?

Cheers,
Nick.

(if you want I can allways attach a pic of the troublesome screen if thats any help)

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If the hard drive manufacturer has a set up utility, use it to do a low level format then try the install

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
The recovery disk is the only disk that came with the computer. I had a look on google, it says i can download a disk for this from the HD manufacturer. How do I find out what kind of hard drive it is, i had a look in the manual but all it says is 40gb hhd, thats all. Because its toshiba does that mean that the hd is a toshiba hard drive?
Or is my information wrong about how i do a low level format?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have the make and model of laptop, Toshiba is the place to look

http://www.csd.toshi.../su_sc_home.jsp

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if you can find anything here, or e-mail toshiba

http://askiris.toshi...entral.do?id=m1

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Seems that my laptop fails to exist on the toshiba website. Sent them an email but i dont really expect them to reply, they have a free phone number ill give them a call tommorow to try get some answers. I'll let you know what happens.

(had a look on the cnet website and found the review of it, it said something about s.m.a.r.t this isn't what i was looking for was it?)

http://asia.cnet.com...9017923p,00.htm

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See what you can get from the phone call

What does the recovery disc have on the label

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
'Product recovery DVD-ROM'
Toshiba
Portege A100

for techincal support: refer to the toshiba support section on the users manual.

This is a backup dvd-rom only may be used only with a toshiba computer system, will not function on other computer systems, the software included was pre-installed on your hard drive at the factory...

I'll get back to you after i call them.

Nick.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Wouldn't mention Linux to them :whistling:

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Microsoft was invented to take the blame for most things...

Advertisements

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I called up toshiba today and they couldn't tell me what was in it and that I would have to take it apart to find out. So I took it apart and put it back together again (with no bits left over!) and it seems that the hard drive is a toshiba one. They dont make their own hard drives to they?
I took photos of it just incase its not a toshiba one, I will put them up when I find the cable for my camera...

DSC01418_25_.jpg

Edited by lifesavernick, 04 August 2006 - 05:21 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can download a bootup utility from Seagate and use it for this purpose. I do it when I can't get a specific utility or if I can't identify the drive. Seagate is not choosy, and will do the job. A link in my signature.

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Any idea what its called, cause there is alot of programs to choose from, i tried data lifeguard but it wont work it says 'non-wd drive hit any key to exit...'

Edited by lifesavernick, 04 August 2006 - 05:57 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Download SeaTools Desktop from this link:

http://www.seagate.c...pport/seatools/

lifesavernick

lifesavernick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Cheers guys. all problems solved, maybe ill stick to windos for a little longer....:whistling: