Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win2kpro and xp-home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i know this is a slightly common question but i couldnt get a suitable solution so i m askin here. first, bout my desktop. it's a p4 system runnin Windows 2000 Pro [xp doesnt cut it for me] it is fully updated to SP4 with all other available updates installed. it is connected to an external DSL modem+ADSL Router&Gateway all-in-one [via LAN cable] provided by my ISP [Siemens SpeedStream 6520]. it can be connected to 4 PCs by LAN cables, 1 PC by USB and 32 PCs by WiFi, all simultaneously [total=36 PCs]. its running like on a dsl network. all i gotta do is switch the modem on and start IE or Firefox and i m ready to browse the web. i have a 256kbps DSL connection. now my laptop. a Pentium M 1.78GHz with Centrino Technology runnin WinXP home, with a built in 802.11a/b/g 54mbps WiFi adapter [obvious on a centrino] and 10/100/1000 LAN port. in my laptop, all i do is switch on my WiFi adapter, and it automatically shows me the wireless network [named SpeedStream]. i connect to it and then i simply use IE to browse the web. if i install a game n try playin multiplayer thru network, then both players [1 on the PC, the other on the laptop] can 'see' each others and join games created by the other. i wasnt actually xpecting this because wat i thought was that my laptop is detecting the modem and simply connecting. but when i tried games, i was stunned and glad to find that i was sort of connecting both PCs. but no matter wat i try i cannot create a network for sharing/transferring files and for using the printer without first connecting my laptop to it. my printer is an HP PSC-1315 [printer-scanner-copier in one] that is connected to my PC via USB. now wat i wanna do is i want to create such a network that i can access both computers' files thru the other, plus use the printer from my laptop without connecting to it.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
To share a printer over a network, the printer has to be a network-capable model. You can't just network any old standard home printer.

http://www.microsoft...cutt_july2.mspx
http://uis.georgetow...rk.printer.html

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
I have the PSC950 on my main PC, shared to my laptop wirelessly and that works fine.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

To share a printer over a network, the printer has to be a network-capable model. You can't just network any old standard home printer.

http://www.microsoft...cutt_july2.mspx
http://uis.georgetow...rk.printer.html

not necessarily. i have seen people having connected really old printers [HP deskjet 690c] to their main PCs, which work on parallel port connections, and they're using them over a wireless home network flawlessly. all u gotta do is (like said on the microsoft article link u posted) set its properties so that it can be 'seen' and accessed by other users on the network. i tried the my network places thingy after enabling my printer to be shared and i cud access the scheduled tasks, printers and scanners connected on a pc from the other pc. plus if fax abilities are enabled, i can access the fax feature too. and they all work. i performed a lot of testing and experimentation, i encountered no problems. along with all this, i can already play network games and share the internet connection, but why o why cant i share files? some say networking 2 diff OS (or 2 diff versionsof an OS) isnt really possible. but cmon folks, win2k n xp r not very different in their basic structure, so this shudnt be a hard thing to do. i've never done a lot of networking before, plus sharing files over a bluetooth network is too slow and troublesome, so i really really need good simplistic solution(s).

thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Not to interrupt on you PIP22, but you may want make sure that "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBios Compatible Transport Protocol" has been installed in the TCP/IP Stack.... <--- is a requirment for File and Print Sharing amongst Cross OS Networks.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
cmon people, there must be a way! its been too long now, i understand that most of u r very busy but a lil good help is greatly appreciated.
:whistling:
thanks

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
See my previous post badben25.... is the protocol i mentioned in your tcp/ip stack on all pC's trying to file/print share?