Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Admin Password Problems

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The repair install appears as a usual install, provided you press enter, F8 the R to repair, that's as it will be

Advertisements

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
So will the Repair fucntion look as though its reinstalling XP again? And take around 40 mins to complete?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Yes

The only difference being you won't get asked to format or see a yellow bar wiping the drive

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Ok Keith. I turned on the pc this morning and it now boots up to the Win XP log-in screen.

One thing though...the USB keyboard or mouse isnt working now.

I can see power going to the keyboard when booting up the pc and the mouse (which is optical) has its red light on underneath. But i cant move the cursor or log-on.

I have been in the BIOS and enabled USB.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Has the keyboard got an F-Mode / Lock key, press that and see if it lets you log on

Use a standard keyboard to log on, connect the USB Keyboard which should work then, download the software for it

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Its just a basic DELL keyboard http://www.pcpartsin...ds/DE-W7658.jpg

It must be a USB issue if the mouse isnt working either

Edited by doire, 01 August 2006 - 01:27 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the leads are in

Remove the leads and boot the PC, plug it in when it gets to the welcome screen

See if it has a converter plug to USB, you could remove it and plug it in to the standard socket

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
This is strange. I booted the pc up again and the mouse now works. The keyboard doesnt.

I have tried 3 different keyboards and still they dont work. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to BIOS set up and load BIOS defaults, press F10 to save, type Y then press enter, assuming the keyboard works in BIOS set up

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
How do i load BIOS defaults?

Yes, the keyboard works in thje BIOS ok

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When you have the BIOS set up screen, it should say BIOS defaults, press whatever

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Keith the reason why i cant log in is because im now getting a winlogon.exe Application Error.

Looks like im going to have to save the data on the disk by placing it in an external enclosure and hooking it up to my own pc. Take whatever data i need and reinstall XP and put the data back on.

Thanks for the help anyway. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once you have the data off, put the drive back in its own PC and run this to wipe the drive

Click using boot and nuke for the programme guide

To completely erase all data on the drive(s)

Download Boot and Nuke

Using Boot and Nuke

Use the autonuke option, which could take 8 hours or so, then when you run Windows set up, check it is creating a RAW1 partition on C, if the drive letter is different, restart the PC and it should default to C

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Would there be any point in me taking an image of the disc and loading the image onto the hard drive again (wiping the origianl data in the process) if a software issue caused the logon problems?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you take the data off, using boot and nuke adds 8 hours for a 200GB drive but makes sure the drive is as clean as possible

If you run a repair install it should resolve any issues, yours didn't, so it could be wise to comprehensively wipe the drive