Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA vs SATA II ?

• Please log in to reply

Ketum

Ketum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a dilemna, it seems that SATA hard disk are now more epensive than actual SATA hard disk at the store close to me...

I have a ASUS motherboard (P5S-800VM) who is SATA complient. I was wondering what would happen if I tried to plug-in a new SATA II hard drive. Do it worth trying ? does it worth buying a SATA II controller card otherwise ?
Do I shuld stick to the SATA I drives ?

Thanks

Advertisements

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
hmm, i doubt that you will notice too much difference between SATAII and SATA, probably like a 3 second improvement when loading games or something. But i would stick with SATA

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
The difference between S-ATA I and S-ATA II is 150MHz speed. The S-ATA I hard drive can transfer files and data up to 150MHz and the S-ATA II can transfer up to 300MHz. Basically its twice as fast transferring data. But if you have two hard drives with the same RPM (revolutions per minute, basically the amount of times the disks spin in a minute) you may not notice much difference at all. You may as well stick with the S-ATA I as for a home user you will not notice much difference.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
On topic question. My receipt from CyberPower says that I have a Sata-II hard drive connected. If I buy a Sata-I, will it work? I had a develish hard time finding a Sata-II.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
yeah it will work, it's always backward compatible.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
and super sam its not 150MHz its 150mb/s (megabites not Bytes) and same goes for 300mb/s

troppo