Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

100% CPU when uploading music

• Please log in to reply

Kitchen

Kitchen

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I am really hoping someone out there can help me, as I'm feeling quite desperate to get this problem fixed ASAP!!

Basically, whenever I try to upload/import a CD using ANY music software (itunes, windows media player, real player) my CPU goes to 100% causing my computer to eventually crash. According to Task Manager, it is whatever music software I am trying to use (itunes, wmp, real player) that is using all the CPU.

I've already adjusted my IDE settings and both primary and secondary channels are set to "DMA if available." I have 513MB of RAM available.

I've also already run a full virus scan and an adware search - neither showed anything or fixed anything.

Given that the problem ocurs with 3 different software programs, I"m thinking the problem must be with a setting somewhere...but I have no idea what it is or how to fix it.

Would love to hear some ideas - thanks so much for your help!

From: One desperate girlie...(with a new ipod that can't take any of my CDs!!).

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Since it is happening with all 3 software programs, I am going to hazard a guess that you have a hardware problem, and let the experts in the hardware area run you through diagnostics first.

Johanna

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
now using 100% of cpu while ripping a cd isn't that bad. The crash might be caused by an overheated cpu. you can confirm this theory by downloading prime95 and run the torture test if it crashes your computer then... it's probably a hot hardware problem. (post your system specs if this happens) If you can run the torture test for 1 hr or so without problems then it might just be a software problem. does this only happen to the music programs? now what you can do is using youruninstaller 2006, get rid of itunes and realplayer, and try musicmatch jukebox, and if it still has the same problem..... than you might need to supply more info on your problem.

Kitchen

Kitchen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi team,

Thanks so much for your help so far - it is SO appreciated.

I've run the prime95 torture test for about 1.5 hours and my computer did not crash (although the CPU was very high throughout). From what I can gather about your theory, Gladiator, this means my issue is likely a software problem and not a hardware issue...

I also installed musicmatch jukebox and it is able to import CDs using only about 25-35% CPU - a great surprise! I would like, however, to be able to use itunes with my new ipod ... (I only mentioned real player and windows media b/c they were part of my experiment about what was going on - it's itunes that I'm really concerned about)...

I'm not sure what other information I can give you about my problem - the issue only arrises with music programs, and only when I am trying to upload/import a CD; playing the CD does not ramp the CPU at all. When I do try to import, the CPU ramps up immediately and then a crash happens after about 10 minutes.

I'd be happy to provide any additional information you require - just let me know what you would be helpful - and thanks so much for your help!!!

I look forward to hearing to more suggestions...

K.

†Gladiator†

†Gladiator†

• PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
well i am not a huge fan of itunes, but i will help to the best of my abilities. I think that there's just some conflicting software on your computer, so uninstall realplayer, and itunes. (i would use your unintaller 2006 as it gets rid of the registry keys too) download the latest version of itunes, and than install it. Now i have another theory, and it involves around ripping speed. the musicmatch you have is the basic version therefore there's a cap on the ripping speed, so you drive isn't going as fast as it can and this seems to be taking less of a toll on your cpu. Sooooo go in itunes and limit the ripping speed of cd's and this might help, if this doesn't work you can manually slow down the drivespeed using nero.

Try this and if it doesn't work pm me for additional help