Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Memory - What memory to get?

• Please log in to reply

abishop

abishop

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the memory in my PC. At the moment I only have 128! I am looking to upgrade ideally to 256 (or 512 subject to cost).

I just don't know what will be compatible with my PC. At the moment all I have 168 pin SAMSUNG K4S280832D-TC75 128/MPC100 SDRAM. As I understand this is now no longer made and is pretty old seeing as it is PC100.

I attach the spec for my PC and mainboard for info that I obtained from running Sandra Lite.

Attached File  System_Specs.txt   2.39KB   111 downloads

Attached File  Main_Board.txt   3.98KB   98 downloads

Grateful for a push in the right direction.

Cheers

Antony

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Take a look at the table on the bottom of the link. It should get you where you need to be.

http://www.ddrmemory...ram_issues.html

Good luck

abishop

abishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
So does this mean that as long as the memory is 168 pin PC100 DIMM SDRAM ECC Registered I can buy any make?

Also can my memory banks only be filled with 128MB chips? I have 4 slots and it says my mainboard can take a max of 512MB. Could I use two 256s instead of 4 128s?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am not sure about ECC or not. I did not see that on the table. That is one thing we may have to check out before you go ahead and purchase something. But as to a specific manufacturer, I would say that it does not really matter who makes it, just that it matches the specs.

Yes using two 256 would be fine.

abishop

abishop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Cheers! I'll let you know how it goes.