Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New MOBO now get less Memory

• Please log in to reply

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
OK so i got a new motherboard b/c my gateway MOBO basicaly sucked. Anyways on the gateway it used to say 1.00 gb memory. now with the new motherboard in it only says 960mb. I mean this isnt a huge problem i am just wondering why. Could it be that the onboard graphics card is tying up some of my memory and if so can i get it back. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Edited by Longhorns242, 31 July 2006 - 02:29 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Onboard graphics is using some memory.

1024-64 = 960Mb.

You can usualy recover some of it (by altering the amount of onboard graphic memory), but not all of it. The only way to do this would be to put a separate graphics card inside the computer.

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i have a onboard graphics card of Radeon x200 express and i have a pci-e radeon x700 that i am using...i dont ever use the onbard.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Even using a graphics card does not stop the bios from saving a set amount of system memory for the graphics. You need to get in the bios and reset the on-board graphics memory to 0.

SRX660

Longhorns242

Longhorns242

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
ok ill do that thanks alot