Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

about formatting computer

• Please log in to reply

xlambx

xlambx

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
So my friend asked me to help format his computer. But I did not know that he did not have any of the disks that the manufactuerer sent with his computer. He has a Windows XP disk, and i think we can download his drivers off the HP driver support site. Is there any way that I can format the whole computer completely? The computer is a HP computer with Windows XP.

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
I would look on HP site and order the recovery disks. They are only about $20.

HP has several things on their computers that are not on a commerical Windows XP disk. Such as Record Now, Update at HP and etc.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Lol that's what I told him, but he says he doesn't care for that stuff. He said he uninstalled it after he got his computer. He's also sort of cheap. So could you still tell me how to format?

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
If you really want to do it, change the BIOS to load from CD and put the XP disk in and it will give you options.

You can format the hard drive and fully install a clean install of XP.

CAUTION!!!!!

The number that is on the side of his case for XP cannot be used. The number with the disk has to be used.

Another way, take the hard drive out of his computer, but it into your comuter as a slave and format it.

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
aight. so in the BIOS, change the order of the bootup sequence right? cause i've done that before.

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
then put the XP disk in and let her go.

Good luck

xlambx

xlambx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
aight format went well. he had 2 operating systems on his computer for some reason. but i removed both and he has one now. i just have to install all his drivers and im done.