Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do Multiple "svchost.exe" Slow Things Down?

• Please log in to reply

Learnatic

Learnatic

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
svchost.jpg
For Example.
I have had this wonderment for a long time and thinking others might have the same thoughts.
Thanks.
Max.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
svchost does not slow down your computer. It actually speeds things up. Heres what microsoft says.

Svchost.exe checks the services part of the registry to construct a list of services that it must load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services. Therefore, separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This grouping of services permits better control and easier debugging.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=314056

I have 6 instances of svchost running right now with only the browser and email open. My computer seems to run well no matter what i do with it. Its a athlon 2400 comp with 512 MB ram. What i do that makes my computers run pretty fast is that i do not load a lot of programs on any one computer. I have this luxury since i generally have 5 or more computers i can run at any one time.

My wife, on the other hand, Like running only one computer and over a period of time will load the computer up with software. I do not like even doing routine maintenance on her puter as it always seems to run slow and constantly has problems with some of the downloads she seems to need all the time.

Lean, mean and speed king is where i like them.

SRX660

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
i will soon have the benefit of 2 computers...and then 3 in a bit. lol. but this computer is really slow. i mean. i have windowblinds, object dock, AVG/Firewall, Spyware Doctor, Spyware Gaurd.

Speaking of start up. HOW DO U MAKE MSN NOT STARTUP? its pissing me off so much. i even tried a 3rd party start up list program, and it STILL comes up, that lil mofo!

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
i have always berlieved that the more junk you install the slower you get. I only use 1 puter for the internet so it is the only one with a firewall, antivitus and spyware tools on it. A graphics puter has only whats needed for graphics, another is for only video creation. A third is for audio stuff, and one is for general putzing around and running downloaded programs to see what they can do. I use a hardware router hooked to a 8 port hub. The 4 computers are all hooked into a 4 way KVM to ease the cluttering while the internet computer is stand alone and most of the time not even hooked into the hub but hooked directly into the router so it cant infect the other computers if it has a problem.

I have never used MSN and really have not thought much about it. I do not see where it is running in my services. If it was in the services i would probably disable it there. msn also does not appear in my task manager.

SRX660

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Okiedokie SRX, I'll nae worry about that aspect and thanks for the reassuring advice.
I remember when I used to worry that my "System Idle Process" was always running at 99% and now know it's a good thing as well.
Cheers,
Max.

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
The simplest way to disable msn is to go into its options and unticking where it says "run when windows starts"

if you want to speedup the comp, get rid of windowsblinds and object dock... Keep the essentials. I run a few programs that arent essential to the computer, like a window positionning guru called "Actual Window Manager"... and it slows my bootup significantly. It always comes down to how much speed you're willing to compromize for your personal esthetic comfort and pleasure.

Learnatic

Learnatic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thanks to the readers etc and am happy now with multiple svchosts.
End of thread.
Cheers,
Max.