Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

!Internet does not work!

• Please log in to reply

Joccobean

Joccobean

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I am using Windows 2000 Pro and Netscape internet services, and everytime I try to connect to the internet, my computer restarts. I have run Ewido Security, Norton Antivirus, Spybot and Hijack this, and nothing unusual was found. That being said, I have no way to update any of the security software, so perhaps this is a new virus / malware that my existing software is not able to recognize.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this problem?

Thanks,
Jocco

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I don't know, but the first thing i would do is shut off the auto reboot. If the problem happens again, at least you'll have an error message to give us a clue. Have you looked in your event logs for errors?
Johanna

Joccobean

Joccobean

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks for replying.

I don't know how to turn off the Auto-Reboot, and I never thought of checking the Event Log. I don't think it really matters now anyway, since now my PC is even worse. When I turn it on, it takes me to the boot options screen (that menu you have to hit the DEl key to access when the system first starts up) and an error message appears stating my PC is running at an improper speed, and that it is running in safe mode. I tried resetting the original settings, and it did nothing. I tried changing my PC speed to every speed option available, restarting, and it did nothing each time. I can no longer even access Windows or the DOS prompt!! Whatever happened to my computer, it really sucks.

Any help on how to at least get it back and running would be appreciated.

Jocco

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
I would run Ad-Aware as well as Spybot and Hijack This... also check your Add Remove Programs area and see if anything is installed that shouldn't be.

Also, make sure Messenger in your services area is diabled.

Another thought would be to replace the CMOS battery and reset your BIOS to make sure Windows is receiving the proper CPU settings.