Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows/system32/config/system is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

delnz99

delnz99

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hi,
I'm hoping this is a fixable problem...
My friend wanted to instal XP from ME & while the installation went fine, once she was in the 'Family Room' area it asked for a password to get onto the desktop. She hadn't set a password up so just left it blank and clicked the green arrow. Then it came up saying it was a nonexistent file or not connected, she clicked ok then it went back to the 'Family Room', then she restarted and it came up with a black screen that said

Windows/System32/Config/System file is missing or corrupt & to try booting from CD.

I have looked up a few solutions to this problem, including the microsoft support site which has this warning:

Do not use the procedure that is described in this article if your computer has an OEM-installed operating system. The system hive on OEM installations creates passwords and user accounts that did not exist previously. If you use the procedure that is described in this article, you may not be able to log back into the recovery console to restore the original registry hives.

Now, when it's rebooting this comes up...

Primary Master: WDC WD43AA 29.05T29
Primary Slave: None
Secondary Master: OEM CD-ROM 48SSB 1.00
Secondary Slave: None

Does this mean this computer has an OEM-installed operating system? Is there a solution to the problem if it is? What is it?

I can't seem to find a way into the Recovery Console & I can't seem to find anywhere to boot from CD. What's the next step? Can anyone help us?

Thanking you in advance.

Advertisements

Ang Hwee Ling

Ang Hwee Ling

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yes, it's an OEM-installed system. Is it some brand name PCs like IBM, HP, Dell, etc?

If yes, you have to contact them directly if the problem persists.

delnz99

delnz99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Yes Ang it is an IBM.

Just an update, we managed to get past the part of the problem where we were unable to boot from the cd. As a result, I have repaired the installation BUT next problem is...

The part in my previous post about the computer asking for a password when we are in the 'Family Room' is persisting. My friend said she didn't create a password that she knows of and I've tried a few different things but it continues to come up with a Logon Message which says the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted. The only option here is to click ok then it takes us back to the Family Room and asks for a password again....

Any ideas?

Ang Hwee Ling

Ang Hwee Ling

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Domain? That would need a password even if you did not set any passwords previously.

delnz99

delnz99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Well, we got around it by reinstalling XP and now it works fine! YAY! For some reason though, we can't get on the internet via the wireless internet adaptor we have in there so I'm off to research that problem. Thanks for your replies Ang.