Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive not recognized properly

• Please log in to reply

Lotos

Lotos

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Maxtor external hard drive with a USB connection and I use Windows XP. Before everything worked fine, and I was able to see it when I went to My Computer, but now it does not list it in My Computer anymore when I connect it. Win XP however does recognize that it was connected. The only thing that I recently did that may have affected it is that I attached it once to my laptop running Linux OS, and it recognized it. But now when I attach it to my Win XP machine, it does not recognize in My Computer and it has no drive letter. When I went to Disk Management, it shows my Maxtor hard drive there, but it says "Unknown Partition". How is it unknown when it is an NTFS partition and I did not reformat the hard drive?
Anyone knows what might have happened?
Help is appreciated.

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Lotos

Have you tried to reinstall it? Go to control panel and select add new hardware.

You can also check your device manager and see if it is there. Right click on my computer, properties and device manager.

One last thing, shut off computer, unplug the ext HD, restart computer. After you get to the desktop, plug it in and see if it picks it up.

Do you have a driver disk for it?? Might want to install the drivers again. If the other tips don't work.