Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Expert
  • 13,659 posts
I'm fairly good with computers, but I can't seem to figure out this problem with my computer. I have only a few programs starting up (Wireless Router and Firewall, that's it besides system programs), computer is fully defragged, a gig of RAM, but it still starts up slow.

Here's what happens:
  • The computer goes through the primary diagnostics and XP screen in normal time.
  • By the time this completes, things slow down. Now, I see a black screen for about 3 minutes.
  • Now we get to the Welcome screen for about five or more minutes. After four, you will hear the "Windows startup music."
  • When we finally get past the Welcome screen, we stare at a black screen for another moment or two.
  • Finally the desktop will appear, and the programs are loaded within seconds.
Does anyone know what could be slowing the computer down for the startup? Once I'm all booted up, everything and fine and it's not slow at all.

Any ideas? :whistling:

Advertisements

Ang Hwee Ling

Ang Hwee Ling

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Spyware or adware on your PC?

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Nope, all clean. Again, computer runs normally when it's all booted up. Just that it starts up very slowly for some unknown reason.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Prefetch is clickable for more information

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up

Reboot

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run defragmenter

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Disable the anti virus programme then click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Check the anti virus programme is running

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Click optimize and improve then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
hey i never new about that prefecth thing, thanks keith.

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

hey i never new about that prefecth thing, thanks keith.

Some people say delete it others say its best left alone.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can click prefetch for a brief explanation

prefetch

If you uninstall a programme the file windows uses to load it quickly can stay in prefetch, windows loads and looks for the programme linked to the prefetch file, cannot find it, so keeps looking, instead of continuing to load windows

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
The computer is still slow in booting. There wasn't much in the prefetch folder (but I deleted them anyway) and though I have registry optimizers, I still ran the suggested program and features to still a slow boot up. The only difference is that now I can't get online anymore. I don't know what might have happened, but for some reason I can't get back on.

I am using another computer now, but still can't get online on my own.

:whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and save this to a floppy or CDR then install it and run it on yours

http://www.snapfiles...nsockxpfix.html

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
You could also disable any COM or Serial Ports in the BIOS if you no longer use them.

Advertisements

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
This is weird. I ran the fix, didn't work. I use Firefox, and it wouldn't work. iTunes couldn't connect. However, Internet Explorer works fine and SpywareBlaster has no problem.

I have no idea what could be the problem. I tried reinstalling Firefox, still the same problem.

And on top of all that...startup still takes 10 minutes to complete.

EDIT: Internet Explorer works, but it freezes pretty often, to which I have to end task and restart.

Edited by handhfan, 01 August 2006 - 08:40 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Whew. It worked. And thank God...it took almost 40 minutes to boot into safe mode, get System Restore started, choose a restore point, and reboot. This is getting insane. Why is this computer so slow? I can't figure it out.... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This replaces the system files

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD

Windows File Protection will show an on screen blue progress bar which will simply disappear when the scan is complete, reboot when it does

If you do not have an XP CD you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Another possibility is malware, though you have probably considered that