Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Startup

• Please log in to reply

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Nope. All that runs at startup is my wireless internet, firewall, and system programs.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply, cancel the reboot prompt

Click the services tab, scroll through to check everything is ticked, if so, remove the ticks for anything which hasn't got Microsoft Corporation, click apply, reboot

You can make a note of any ticks in services you remove

Do not use the internet connection while the system is like this, if you need to connect to post, make sure the firewall and anti virus programmes are running

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Completed.

However, before I rebooted, I got this message from msconfig:

An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specific changes.

I was able to reboot and everything worked fine, but the boot still took eight minutes with nothing but system programs running.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run msconfig and reset everything to how it was

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Okay. All reset, going to reboot while I wait for any other ideas you might have.

Thanks, by the way, for all the help you've given so far. :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No worries

The repair not improving things, makes me think re-installing won't help

Are the USB peripherals off when you boot, maybe you could also try switching them off and removing the USB leads and then boot the PC

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Just got back from a reboot.

Are the USB peripherals off when you boot, maybe you could also try switching them off and removing the USB leads and then boot the PC

I'm computer savvy, but apparently not that much. Do you know how to do that to help me out? :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The leads which go from the printer to the PC, scanner etc

Have you got a powered hub, where one lead goes to the back of the PC and then maybe four leads plug in to the hub

Try with the printers and anything else turned off first

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
I only use the USBs on the back and front of the computer. I know what you mean by a USB hub, and I don't have one. Also, I use a network printer in my house, so it's not connected to a USB port. The only thing using a USB port right now is the wireless router, which uses a USB to connect to the computer.

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
Sorry, lost power for over an hour. I tried disconnecting all uses of USB (the wireless internet) but it still took 8 minutes.

Advertisements

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
I tried running CHKDSK for lack of ideas, but that didn't work either.

Do you have any other ideas?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
When it does load up, does it run well?

Does it reboot quickly?

See if you can run memtest overnight, there was a recent one where it was run for a couple of hours without errors but overnight produced errors

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
The computer was fine when it loaded up, it even apparently even fixed a few minor errors I was getting with my wireless internet program. But, the boot still took the same amount of time.

I will be sure to run memtest again tonight. Just a question, if you get this before I go to bed and run memtest again: Does memtest stop and show you the errors before rebooting up normally?

For example, I ran CHKDSK while I was working, and I came back to the computer fully booted up, and having no idea how many errors were found on the system. Would memtest do that, or would it allow me to see if there were errors when I run it tonight?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Memtest will keep running until you switch it off, so however long you are away from the PC, you can see what it has been up to

handhfan

handhfan

Trusted Helper

• Topic Starter
  • Expert
  • 13,659 posts
I ran memtest. Twenty passes, no errors.

Boot Time: 11 minutes.

Boot time is even longer now.