Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Floppy Drive? What floppy drive?

• Please log in to reply

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Pip
  • 7 posts
For starters, I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum... if it belongs in the hardware forum, please move it there. I just figured this was an XP problem, not a hardware problem, so I went with this one.

Ok, so I look in My Computer and I notice A: Floppy Drive. This naturally confuses me because I have no floppy drive installed on this machine.

I have disabled the device, uninstalled it, etc etc. It goes away just fine... but when I restart, it is back.

Any idea why it would be doing this?

(On a side note, I had to put NVRAID drivers into the windows installation using an alternative method because the programmers at microsoft tend to overlook the fact that floppies are obsolete, usb keys are in) I do not know if that bit of information is useful, but it's there just in case.

Thank you for any help offered.

Advertisements

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Hi Nostalgia

Try going into your BIOS at startup and see if its enabled there. If it is disable it,

To get to the BIOS, press del or esc or F2 at startup.

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There is no floppy drive listen under my IDE device list. But the hardware configuration section of my BIOS lists Floppy Drive, but there is no enable/disable option, it is simply a place I can set the priority of like devices.

It's odd that it is even there, actually. I have no floppy drive, there is no cable plugged into the floppy drive's IDE slot on the motherboard. =\

Any other suggestions?

coffeedrinker

coffeedrinker

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
Been checking around and the only other suggestion is to check on the ASUS web site. Just got off it, theres a lot of good stuff there, but could not find anything about floppy drive.

http://usa.asus.com/index.aspx

BTW, That's a really nice system you got.

Good luck

Nostalgia

Nostalgia

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks, I'm fond of this setup too. :whistling:

And thanks for the suggestion. I'll browse around, and most likely drop them an email or two. If I find any solutions I'll be sure to post them for any future ghost floppy problems.

Thanks again!