Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freeze up problems

• Please log in to reply

Midgetman

Midgetman

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I've had this problem for a little while after having built my computer. Whenever it's been on for a few hours, everything but the mouse will freeze up. I can still move the mouse around, but when I click a few times the motherboard speaker beeps and the mouse freezes along with the rest. After a few seconds normal function continues but a few seconds later it happens again. Rebooting fixes it until I leave it on for a few hours again. I could reboot whenever it happens but I am trying to avoid that inconvenience. Has anyone else had this problem or does anyone know how to fix it or what the problem could be?

Advertisements

Midgetman

Midgetman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I scanned with different spyware scanners including adaware, spybot, and spysweeper as well as McAfee and AVG Free Antivirus and I came up clean. I also tried defragging, but right after it finished the problem reoccured so I'm stumped. The only old thing in this computer are my cd drives and my master hard drive is a little less than a year. Slave drive is over 4 years but I dont use it much.

Guest_rushin1nd_*

Guest_rushin1nd_*
are you using 2 antivirus programs at same time cause that would slow it down they would be in confluct with each other

Midgetman

Midgetman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No. I had McAfee originally. After I scanned with that, I completely disabled it, installed AVG, scanned, uninstalled it, and enabled McAfee again.

Edited by Midgetman, 02 August 2006 - 07:35 PM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
""I've had this problem for a little while after having built my computer. ""

How long is a little while?

Possibly if you built it, you connected some stuff wrong inside with wiring and your computer is trying to tell you something is up with the beeps...

in most cases its a problem with...

RAM
Cooling
PowerSupply
Connections Via the Mommaboard

Midgetman

Midgetman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I built it 2 weeks ago but I never really had it on long enough for the problem to occur until I actually HAD to leave it on. I just checked my RAM, heatsink and case fan connections, all psu connections, and every one on the mobo. I'll see if the problem happens again.

EDIT: Oh and I'm pretty sure it's not PSU connections because I upgraded last week from my subpar PSU that came with the case.

Edited by Midgetman, 02 August 2006 - 09:31 PM.

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Yes give that a shot, also you may want to run a mem test just to check the stability of your ram. In some rare cases people have bought ram and just got the unlucky number and their ram had many errors on it etc...

Also verify the type of ram that is to be used for your CPU/Mommaboard

Midgetman

Midgetman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I'll do that now. But I went to Corsair's website and checked their memory compatibilty thing and this model supposedly fits my exact motherboard, but I'll test it just for added security. My motherboard needs DDR400 (PC3200) 184 pin RAM

Cybertrex

Cybertrex

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you checked your IRQ's in device manager to make sure there's no hardware conflicts?

Midgetman

Midgetman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok. I checked my RAM and there were no errors of any kind, but still had the problem and I also checked the device manager for hardware conflicts. There were none.