Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

4 GB RAM IN XP HE

• Please log in to reply

Hosk

Hosk

• Pip
  • 2 posts
According to Microsoft, Widows XP HE can use 4 GB of RAM. When I installed it, my SI recognizes 4 GB of Physical RAM, 2.87 GB of Available Physical memory and 2.00 GB of Total Virtual memory with 1.96 GB of available virtual memory.

I have heard that regardless of amount of RAM, applications can't access more than 2 GB unless the /3 GB switch is set in the Boot.ini file.

My Boot.ini file has :

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Should the /3 GB switch follow fastdetect? And will it make any difference. I am trying to speed up Photoshop CS2.

Thanks, Hosk

Edited by Hosk, 31 July 2006 - 09:09 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
All using /3GB does is allow the computer to use a Virtual Memory page file bigger than 2Gb. It should also in theory allow the computer to work with 3Gb of memory for the programs you run.

It doesn't alter the fact that XP has issues when you start approaching more than about three and a half gig of memory, nor does it change the fact that XP can only work with up to 4Gb of memory.

Again in theory, one should be able to use /fastdetect with the /3gb switch.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well xp has a max capability of 3GB without stuff going downhill. if u give it 4GB it will only slow it down, cause it cant handle all that. and dont even get 3GB, 2GB in dual channel, either DDR 400, or DDR2 800, depending on your cpu/mobo, will work beautifully. and is better than 3GB NOT in dual channel

Edited by Tru Techie, 01 August 2006 - 05:27 AM.

Hosk

Hosk

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks, Neil and TT. /3GB did expand the available RAM and all is well.