Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Downloading/saving files online!

• Please log in to reply

mtandon

mtandon

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
When i am trying to download:
Whenever i get the save dialog box, if i try to change the folder the browser gets into the 'not responding' mode.

When i am trying to attach a file:
i have to open, and hence search thru the folders, which again makes my brwoser go bizarre.

When i am trying to save a web page:
Asa i click on the option, the browser stops responding.

I would appreciate quick reply to this.
Thanks!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you using Internet Explorer or another browser? When did this start happening? Did it coincide with a hardware change or software addition? When you say "attach a file", do you mean to an email? What is your email client? How do you save a webpage? "File" then "save as"? Does the browser stop responding every time you try to perform one of these actions, or just sometimes? What security are you running? AV & Firewall, please? In order to help you, more information is needed.
Johanna

mtandon

mtandon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for ur immediate reply!

1. I use IE rarely(coz most of the times when i open), w/o me ending the process, i get the 'dont send'/'send' error report to microsoft dialog box!
Hence i use Firefox all the time.

2.It has been a month since it's been happening.

3.No H/W change. I am not sure about S/W change.(bcoz nearly 1 1/2 month back i removed Norton, and started using Avast)

4.Yes, i mean attaching a file to an email. However, i don't mean i face problems when i say 'attach a file'. I face it when i browse for the file i want to attach.

5.Hotmail,Yahoo

6.Yes.Exactly the way i save the web page.

7.all the times.

8.Avast.(i am not sure if i have activated the firewall)

I actually forgot to quote another problem.
Word also stops responding, when i save some articles by copy-paste actions, while i am online.

mtandon

mtandon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I don't know wether the foll. strange thing is related to the prev. problem. but here;s it

whenever start my PC (restart/strat)...not when logging off/on.
a specific folder opens all by itself (but dosen't close by itself). Also, 2 DOS windows appear successively, all i have been able to read in that window till now is faudg.exe (coz, they close thmselves too quickly)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
I would like to have the experts in malware review your situation. If the problems persist after they give your system a clean bill of health, post back to this thread and there are some steps we can take to solve these problems, if this is indeed an IE issue.

Follow the directions here carefully, and post your log in malware. I'll keep an eye on this thread, too.

http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Johanna

mtandon

mtandon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ummm..
How do i know if i have the '64 bit' edition of Windows XP?
Thanks

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If you click "Start"> Control Panel >System
Windows will tell you what you have.

You could also look on your XP cd, assuming it is legit. A possible clue would be that a lot of regular software won't work, even with the required special processor that's price would have caused you to gasp when you bought the computer, unless you are a gamer or a geek and knew what you wanted, in which case you would know what version of Windows you had??

Johanna

mtandon

mtandon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Actually, my present processor was second hand.
We didn't insist on getting the CD w/ it

BTW, i did check the way u told me to, but i didn't see anything that should be relevant.
i tried all the tabs under system..?