Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

can't delete unused files

• Please log in to reply

chedvah77

chedvah77

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
hey there! i was trying to delete some folders that i'm not using anymore (i created them myself) and i'm not being allowed to. they were to be used by a program that i have since uninstalled in an effort to remove them (i will need to reinstall it). i checked the folder properties and the read-only check box was sorta checked. i cleared it and tried again...no dice. when i went back into folder properties, the read-only box was checked again.

i tried deleting them from the command prompt and that didn't work, either, though i'm not entirely sure i was doing it right.

also tried deleting them while in safe mode and that didn't work, either. grr. :whistling:

any ideas? thanks for any help you can give me! :blink:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download and install Unlocker from my signature, install with the add to context menu and unlocker assistant options, reboot

Right click a folder, click Unlocker, choose delete

chedvah77

chedvah77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Keith,

Thanks for such a quick response! Unlocker got one of the files, but left a couple others on there. It said, essentially, can't delete - try on reboot? I said yes, rebooted...didn't work. Tried it from safe mode, and it still didn't work.

What next?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check that you cannot just right click them and click delete

Use MoveOnBoot

http://www.snapfiles...moveonboot.html

This usually leaves the folder there after the reboot, but you should be able to delete it then

Have you checked in programme files for folders of the deleted programmes, if you find any, click to highlight them then move them to my documents and reboot, so they don't get involved in start up, which is a cause of access denied

chedvah77

chedvah77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
That last bit did it! Thanks so much! :whistling:

-Stephanie VG

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts