Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I CAN NOT OPEN ANY FILES OR PROGRAMS

• Please log in to reply

deref77

deref77

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I use Windows XP operating system. I started my computer up and my pop up blocker and firewall had windows that opened asking me to allow or block some things that were trying to get access to my computer. Well I blocked the two I didnt know, then I approved one, and apparently I approved a second, after that my computer froze completely. I then rebooted it and when it opened all my desktop icons were justs blank (not the normal symbols) they all looked the same.

When I click on them to open them they ask if I would like to open them with an online program or browse for the correct one.

All my programs do that now, I can not use any of them...

What can I DO?

Derek

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
wait...the programs ask u to open themselves with another program? What the..........well i no for your files, and stuff, just right click on one of them ( not programs) and go to properties, then it will tellyou which program it opens with, and will most likely be Unknown or something like that. go to browse, and pick the p[rogram you use to regularly open those files.

deref77

deref77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yes the actual PROGRAMS will not allow me to run them, I can do NOTHING on my computer. For example, if I click on my internet browser, it will not open, it will ask me to select a program to open it, if I select Norton Anti Virus, it will do the same and so on and so on.

It seems like the last three letters .net or .pdf or whatever the .something is cant be opened, like it doesnt recognize it at all and there is no program to open my applications or programs.

It is horrible. I tried to go into Windows XP and restart from a later date when the programs worked, but it makes no difference.

I am screwed!