Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System

• Please log in to reply

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
So then what do I need for a case. I want one that looks sleak and good as well as functionaly good.
Also, can I get a Creative Audigy SE 24-bit- 7.1 Surround?

Edited by zestron, 03 August 2006 - 06:10 AM.

Advertisements

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
cooler master centurion.

and yeah u can go with that card.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
delete this/

Edited by Tru Techie, 03 August 2006 - 07:57 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Coolermasters are allright(get a new one though) or Antec maybe thermaltake there cases are a good compromise between function and style.

The SE is fine X-fi is great but im not a fan of spending that much on any sound card unless the rest of the system is top notch.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
yeah, im not planning on getting a sound card, maybe a bit after i get the computer. but onboard sound is fine for me. i mean right now im usin dell onboard sound that was madelike 6 years ago , and i have no problems with the sound, except maybe cause its a lil....fuzzy, but its an old dell.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
I put together a new system with a good case that may look normal. But packed with power! I wont bother changing the text, just figure it out...

11941 AMD - Athlon-64 2.4Ghz, AM2 32/64 Bit, 512K, (3800+) Retail Box $148.00
11978 MSI K9N-NEO-F, AM2, NF550, DDR2, SATA RAID, GbL, 8CH Audio $112.00
11704 OCZ Value Pro 1024MB DDR-2 / 667MHz / PC-5400 / Lifetime w/ Heatspreaders $122.00
11980 XFX (PV-T73G-UDD3) 7600GT XXX 590MHz/1.6GHz 256MB DDR3 / Dual DVI Out (Double Lifetime) $234.00
11114 WD Caviar SE-16 / SATA-II 2500KS 250GB 7200RPM, 16MB, U300 / 3 Year $107.00
11457 NEC DVD+-RW ND-3550B (Black) 16x Dual layer / no Software $47.00
11077 Antec Sonata II Piano Black Quiet Mid Tower Case 450 Watt ATX12V v2.0 $132.00
8839 MITSUMI FA404 (Black) 3.5" Floppy / CARD READER 7-IN-1 Internal USB $30.00
11529 Creative Audigy SE 24-bit 7.1 Surround OEM w/ Driver $33.00
1089 Built-In 10/100 Network Card $0.00
7189 MS Windows XP Professional SP2 w/ 1 user License CD Key & Manual (English) (OEM) $172.00
185 1 Year Parts & Labour System Warranty $0.00

All Prices are listed in Canadian Dollars.
Applicable shipping charges are not included.
Taxes have been calculated for: Nova Scotia SubTotal 1137.00
HST 159.18
Total $1296.18

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
the antec sonata is expensive and it comes with a psu , and thats just asking for trouble, unless of course if they provide a specific name of the psu, in which case you should tell us what it is. and the cooler master centurion is a really good case, AND its cheaper. and just put an antec smartPower 450watt on that and your fine. and isnt that gpu cheaper in infonec?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The sonata II comes with an Antec smart power(it might be the true power but i think that varies by region and availabilty when the case was made) the PSU in the case costs almsot as much as the case itself, its ANTEC they only put ANTEC PSUs in the cases and they dont exactly make bad ones even the rubbish ones are good. Sonata II is a great case not going to get much better its got good cooling and is designed specifically for low noise output.

Your spending to much on the OS dont get pro its not worth it for the time youre going to have it and vertainly dont buy a retail version get an OEM home or MCE.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
well if wat scot says is true (which im sure it is) then get that case.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
Yes, I read a giant review about the case and the PSU it self is just a steal they said. It's worth the amount of the package practally. The only complaint was the big open space, but they said it's nothing to be conserned about. It cools well and all for a great price. Now, would I need to buy some extra fans in the package?

As for windows. I'm going to get Pro because i'm not planning on getting Vista. I've never been a true gamer. I'm just really enjoy myself when I can game. In Internet Cafe's and such places like friends. I'm finally going to be able to spend my money on a good thing. I'm don't want to be involved in staying with new tech. till I have more money. After this expense, i'll have almsot nothing. I'm only 14 years old.

So after the 53 replys now, is my system readdy? I really think it is now. The only thing now is the soundcard. Is it ok?

LINKS

Antec SmartPower 2.0 PSU 450W.
http://www.antec.com...hp?ProdID=26450

Sound Blaster Audigy SE
http://www.creative....p;product=14257

Edited by zestron, 04 August 2006 - 09:56 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sound card is fine, to be honest its not a huge concern they definately fall into the "extra" category with full 7.1 channel onboard on boards now integrated.

I wouldnt reccomend not going to Vista its not really staying on the curve to replace a 5(will be 6) year old OS for the newer version, and i still wouldnt waste money on pro for the same reason its getting long in the tooth and the advatages arent worth the price, if you arent going to game alot what i reccomend is get home(you dont need whats in pro) and then run something like Ubuntu when you arent doing your occasional gaming. The things you pay extra for in XP pro arent things you will use and the performance difference only really amounts to a couple seconds less on the boot time and thats not worth an extra hundred bucks. Besides MCE is good value it even comes with a remote.

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
i dont know if im gonna be converting to vista right away. experience with microsoft has taught us that their first release of an operating system is usually awful, im probably gonna wait a few months until they work out a majority of the kinks, then get into it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont know XP wsant all to bad in its first release it certainly got better over time with SPs but that is true of all software with that level of after sales support, 2000 was allright as well but i didnt lose it alot and 95 was great when it came out, 98 and the ME edition royally sucked but that wasnt an at the start thing they just sucked.

zestron

zestron

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
What are the differnces between Home and Professional. Other than the cost..

Tru Techie

Tru Techie

• PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
home isnt as good as XP. home doesnt set password for admin account. thats one thing. i cant recall much else, i dont use it.