Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

failure during boot

• Please log in to reply

bwillford

bwillford

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I bought two new computers recently, all windows xp. I had only had them for a day when i put the program Magic Tweak on both of them. After restarting I get the bios screen then black screen that says Windows XP Professional and after about 5 seconds of windows loading a blue screen blinks. It does not give me enough time to read this screen. Then the computer restarts and does it all again... any ideas?

Advertisements

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
Press F8 before the Windows boot screen (Windows logo and progress bar) appears. If your computer is restarting before Windows finishes loading, the menu may come up already. See if you can find an option that says something like "Disable restart on system failure". Then, the blue screen will stay until you manually shut down or restart the PC. When it does, please write down the message that it shows (just the STOP: 0x00000024 or whatever) as well as any files it lists (probably ending in .sys).

Can you start the PC in Safe Mode? To try it, press F8 (if necessary) and choose Safe Mode.

bwillford

bwillford

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0x812E0E30, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

And safe mode does the same thing

Edited by bwillford, 01 August 2006 - 07:53 AM.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
First, try "Last Known Good Configuration" to see if that helps. If not, make sure that the cables you used are the correct ones. It should have 80 wires and 40 pins. There are some older IDE cables that also have 40 pins, but only 40 wires.

If Last Known Good Configuration doesn't help and you are positive that the cables are correct, please read this. Please follow the "Damaged File System" steps under Resolution.

Good luck! :whistling: