Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Downloaded File/Can't Get Rid of the Icon on the Desktop!

• Please log in to reply

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I tried to download a demo of a game from Game Fish and apparently the file did not get totally downloaded. It left an icon on the desktop that I can't get rid of. Every time I try to delete it, I get the message that "The file can't be deleted because it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again."

The only problem is, I am not running any program using this file and can't figure out how to delete it. Also this is not the first time this has happened. I had it happen one other time and was able to move the file off my desktop, but not delete it.

I hope someone can help me out with this.

thanks
dog

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Try opening up a command prompt and use this commmand:

del \\.\Drive\path\filename.

For example if an icon on my dekstop was called test.exe that i wanted to delete it would go like this:

del\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\RyanJ\Desktop\test.exe

Let me know how that goes.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I got the message that "The system cannot find the path specified." Yet I can see the file sitting right there.
Would a screenshot help?

Here's what I did, maybe I did it wrong.

Start --> Run --> cmd to get the Command Prompt

then I typed del\\.\C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\en_wordyvu_inst.exe and hit enter.

That's when I got the cannot find path message (above)

dog

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://www.geekstogo...delete anything

HTH
Johanna